Breaker and Pump for Nav 300

jason808

I came home the other day to a large pile of boxes at my door all with Furuno written on them:) It was a really good day. I also am thankful that everything is neatly labeled and packaged. It makes installation alot easier.
Now I am in the process of installing everything.
I have the Navpilot 300. I also purchased an adjustable Octopus Piston pump #1012,
https://octopusdrives.com/wp-content/up ... ochure.pdf
The current is 4-6 A with a Max of 19A.

Question 1] When I connect it to the FAP-3012,
Should I connect the breaker between the pump and the FAP-3012 or between the FAP-3012 and power supply?

Question 2] Is the pump ok with the navpilot 300? It is a reversible pump. I should still be able to return it if not.

Thanks!

Question 1] When I connect it to the FAP-3012,
Should I connect the breaker between the pump and the FAP-3012 or between the FAP-3012 and power supply?

You want to breaker the pilot between the power source and the FAP-3012 processor.

Question 2] Is the pump ok with the navpilot 300? It is a reversible pump. I should still be able to return it if not.

Two important things to consider here. First the pump needs to be properly sized to the steering system (cylinder(s)). Bigger isn't better. If too big the steering will move too fast and the pilot will fail. Next, you want the pump to be under the max amp limits of the pilot processor used. In this case the Navpilot 300 is designed for 10 amps continuous and up to 20 amps for 5 seconds (before you let the smoke out). As long as this pump is correct for your steering system, it should work just fine with the NP300 because it's average current need is 4-6 amps (with a max of 19 amps on surge).

Thanks again Mr. Electron!

I let the smoke out of my 3d printer last year, hopefully I will be kinder to my new Furuno electronics:)

I looked in the documentation for the Navpilot-300 and did not find recommendations on breaker size. I understand the rating of the FAP-3012 is 20A at 5 seconds. I was looking at the only breaker curves I could find which were for blue sea systems here
https://www.bluesea.com/products/7212/A ... e_Pole_20A

Is a 20A breaker the right size or should I use something rated for a lower current so it trips at 20A quicker?
For example a 10A breaker will trip at 20A in 0.5 seconds and 15A in about 1 second.

I apologize for the basic question. I would rather ask then over-electron my equipment:)

I normally recommend a breaker for the Navpilot 300 at 15 to 20 amps. The larger 700 series for 20 to 30 amps and the older 500 series for 30 amps.

Back