NavPilot 300 with TZT3

TailWhip4Guy

Is it possible to connect the NavPilot 300 to a TZT3 MFD (12) and not install the FAP-3011 controller and or the PG-700 heading sensor? Having a separate controller is redundant and unnecessary for me (especially with remote gesture controller) and it seems that the TZT3 should provide the FAP-3012 with the heading inputs it needs through NMEA2000 backbone. I don't want to purchase these two additional units if I don't have to. I previously owned a Simrad and didn't have to purchase and connect these items so I am hoping its the same with Furuno.

Looking forward to your reply. Thank you.

You must have the Navpilot 300 control head installed to turn ON/OFF the pilot. Once turned on, most functions and setup can be done directly on the TZT3 using the virtual control and menu selections. You MUST have a source of heading. If you have a good source of heading like the SCX20, you don't need the PG700.

I have finished installing my 300 and have it connected to my N2K network now. I can't figure out where/how on the TZT12F to control the AP? Assuming there is an AP screen, it does not show up as an option when I try to create a new screen/display layout. What am I missing?

Here's a more direct question - what does this mean specifically? "You must have the NavPilot 300 control head installed to turn ON/OFF the pilot"? I have installed the 300 completely including the controller. The controller is powered on. The TZT3 is powered on. I can see course/heading as Nav Data options on my TZT3 and the 300 is identified as a networked component, but I can't figure out how, for example, I would activate a route on my TZT3 and have that route pushed to the 300 so that it steers the route. Or access basic AP controls from the TZT3 in general. AP doesn't appear to be a display screen to choose when configuring screens, it doesn't show up as a bottom menu like SiriusXM does (which I don't understand why there isn't a full control screen option for SXM either). What am I missing?

"You must have the Navpilot 300 control head installed to turn ON/OFF the pilot. Once turned on, most functions and setup can be done directly on the TZT3 using the virtual control and menu selections."

ajax":3uvmez6q said:
Here's a more direct question - what does this mean specifically? "You must have the NavPilot 300 control head installed to turn ON/OFF the pilot"? I have installed the 300 completely including the controller. The controller is powered on. The TZT3 is powered on. I can see course/heading as Nav Data options on my TZT3 and the 300 is identified as a networked component, but I can't figure out how, for example, I would activate a route on my TZT3 and have that route pushed to the 300 so that it steers the route. Or access basic AP controls from the TZT3 in general. AP doesn't appear to be a display screen to choose when configuring screens, it doesn't show up as a bottom menu like SiriusXM does (which I don't understand why there isn't a full control screen option for SXM either). What am I missing?

"You must have the Navpilot 300 control head installed to turn ON/OFF the pilot. Once turned on, most functions and setup can be done directly on the TZT3 using the virtual control and menu selections."

What Johnny is explaining is that while you have power applied to the NavPilot computer, it still requires the control head to actually act as the "power button" to "wake up" the computer. Once the autopilot computer is awake and talking on the the NMEA 2000 network your TZT3 display will allow you to select a waypoint (or the beginning of a planned route) and give you the option to navigate. Once you select the navigate it will give you a secondary request of using the AP to steer the boat. When yes is selected the AP will take over the steering.

ajax":2mfefzo8 said:
...but I can't figure out how, for example, I would activate a route on my TZT3 and have that route pushed to the 300 so that it steers the route. Or access basic AP controls from the TZT3 in general... What am I missing?

For NP300 setup you can access the setup via the TZ3 if you navigate to HOME > SETTINGS > INITIAL SETUP > Navpilot 300.

Otherwise to navigate using an autopilot in general, on a plotter, when you create a waypoint and select "go to" waypoint it generates a NMEA2000 data packet called "PGN129284" in your NMEA2000 network. The NP300 listens to the network for any instances of this data packet and when it hears it, it picks it up and interprets it as, "Do you want me to navigate to this point?"

Thanks to NMEA2000, our autopilots work this way with any NMEA2000 compliant MFD capable of outputting this universal data.

Hope this helps, :sail

- Maggy

Thank you very much, Maggie, very helpful. This will work with routes also, I assume? Not just waypoints?

ajax":1nhsl3zb said:
Thank you very much, Maggie, very helpful. This will work with routes also, I assume? Not just waypoints?

Of course, a "go to" regardless of whether it's a single waypoint or the next waypoint in a route is a "go to" as recognized by the pilot this way.

- Maggy

Back