Navpilot 300 pump

I performed the dockside tests at the dock with the motors running. I got the same result, I failed the safe helm sensor test. Next I did the sea trial and everything went well. I did have issues with the TZT14 communicating with the Navpilot, but I think need to change PGN outputs for Navigation Data and Navigation - Route/WP correct? Checked that after I was back on the trailer.

If the FSP8 LEDs are functioning correctly, but I am not getting signal, what should I try next? I looked at each connection/wire in the wago connector and they "looked" ok, but I am not sure if there is a good way to test them. What is the signal, can I test that somehow?

There are several PGNs that should be turned on from the TZT depending on where the GPS is coming from. Minimum you need the Navigation, cross track, and the Navigation and wp info turned on. You shouldn't put out GPS data unless the TZT is the source of that data. You don't want to regurgitate data. If the pressures sensors are lighting and going out properly with the movement of the helm, I have never seen the helm sensor test fail. The only case is, as I told you, about the lack of speed data. Did you get the GPS data sorted out?

Yes, everything was working at the dock including GPS position. SOG was zero not dashes as it was previously. When repeating initial setup do I need to start from the beginning and redo each? redo drive unit, air bleeding etc -in order each retry? Should I do some kind of reset, then try again? I will go through the PGNs tonight, I think I need to add cross track. If the weather is good I will try and go out again this weekend and test any changes.

Thanks!

You shouldn't have to start from the beginning but in this case it might be worth factory clearing the pilot and start the entire setup from the very beginning. It really sounds like the FPS sensors are working fine. I think something got setup wrong in the initial setup settings. When you dodge hard over to hard over, what is the time it takes in seconds?

I took the boat out and started from a factory reset. I still failed the safe helm test. After completeing the sea trial, I took it out to test the autopilot function and everything worked great. The autopilot now communicates with the TZT and was able to successfully follow a route.
The wires in the wago connector look like they were crimped correctly, but they are very small and it is difficult to say if not making a connection. Any suggestions on how I could test this? If I added an input voltage what is the expected signal? Again, I only have six wires connected (brn,blk,blu combos). I feel like everything is functioning correctly, but the signal is not getting to the processor.
I did get a communication error with the processor when I first started, but after cycling the power everything was ok. I just mention anything that might help troubleshoot.

I didn't get the hard over to hard over time...I will try and get that tonight.

The communication error might be a big clue to what is wrong. You should not get that. I suspect that your control head(s) is/are not terminated or the jumper (J104) is not set correctly. This would account for the communication error and also explain the strange stuff you have been seeing. Ensure both control buses have terminations at the back of the last unit and J104 is configured properly for your install. In regards to the WAGOs, you can check to see if you get the returning 12vdc into the processor when the pressure sensor activates. (black wires on TB5) You would go from ground of the unit with your meter to one of the black wires from either the port or starboard pressure sensor to see if the 12v is returning when activated. By the sound of it; I expect it is. At this point I feel strongly that something is up with the terminations or you have some noise that is coupling into those control wires. If you have terminations, you might have a bad one. You can always pull it off and ohm out between pins 3 and 4 of the termination plug to ensure it reads ~120 ohms. If you are running both buses, make sure to check both terminators.

Yes, I have the Navpilot 300. The hard over to hard over time is about 7 sec.

Another note, I used Anchor NMEA2000 T connectors to add the processor and controller to the backbone. The terminal resistor put at the end. I don't think those should make a difference,but I am looking at everything right now.

The control bus on the NP700 series is different than how it is done on the NP300 series (which is 2000). I totally got my wires crossed on what system we were troubleshooting. For the NP300 it is NMEA 2000 and those rules apply. The control head is just a drop to the bus. The bus (under NMEA 2000) will need two termination points (120 ohms each). If you turn off your NMEA 2000 bus power, you should be able to ohm out the bus lines and get roughly 60 ohms. If you get 120, then you don't have your second termination on the bus. If you have less than ~50 ohms then you have too many terminators.

Can you PM me where the boat is located?

I was able to test the wago connection while connected to the processor using needle probes on my voltmeter. My guess is everything is functioning properly, but I don't know what the signal should be. The results were the same for both BRN,BLK,BLU combos. The first test was voltage across the pins then I tried to capture the signal with someone moving the steering wheel.
Voltage Combos ref S-1 in manual:
BRN/BLU = 12.1v and 12.1v
BRN/BLK = 7.94v and 7.12v
BLU/BLK = 4.97v and 4.96v
Voltage While turning:
BRN/BLK = 12.1v (same for both)
BLU/BLK = 0.0v (same for both)

I am not sure if those number are expected, and what to do next. Is the processor functioning properly? Should the PPL and GRY be connected when not used? Do I need to add the event switch? If so, would it be normally closed or open?

The readings are good. The Navpilot detects hydaulic flow so the FPS is working correctly. If you conduct the safe helm software setup correctly, it should work. It seems that the helm might be only turned once and not hard over during the setup or something that might be causing your error. It is really important to do exactly what the setup screen says. If you are, I guess it is time to send the unit in for evaluation. We have never seen any problems with the NavPilot 300 and the FPS8. Our tech lab has one setup exactly as yours and we have several known installs with this configuration working fine. I think you have everything correct but I suspect something isn't happening correctly during the setup of the dockside settings. Are the engines running both when you conduct the dockside setup and also when you run the rudder test? Dockside setup and testing should be done in the water with engines at idle. I have seen many cause issues by not having the hydraulics properly running during setup and testing.

Johnny was this issue with getting the safe helm and power assist Module FPS8 ever resolved? Was it setup or equipment problem? Would like to know what the outcome, problem or “fix” was.

This was a good write up of troubleshooting and I am Installing a Navpilot 300, HRP and FPS8 as well. Could be helpful if we encounter a problem.

Thanks Michael

The FPS8 hasn't had any problems other than supply. Accusteer has stopped making them. If you don't have one, you most likely won't get your hands on one. Never fear, a newer option is going to be releasing in the next few months. If you have one, they work great so I would install it and press on.

Hi, I've read carefully. Interesting. But what should I start with, having one NAVpilot-300 and a boat with MerCruiser® 350 Magnum® MPI w Sterndrive Bravo® III? :)) I sold so many autopilots, but did not install any.

Back