Transducer wet face / flush mount installation.

A

Anonymous

Can anyone please help with the wet face / flush mounting of a 2kW 200-8B and a CA50BL-12R furuno transducer in a fibreglass 23 foot hull. I believe I have the correct location sorted.
As I believe these trannys are rubber coated and bolt down what do I use to seal the trannies to the fibreglass to achieve a perfectly smooth surface and not create bubbles.
I would also install a wet box internally over the trannys to ensure it is watertight but for ease of construction can we use aluminium for the wet box without affecting transducer performance. The plan is to silicon the wetbox to the hull and clamp it down.
And are gland nuts for the tranny cables readily available.

Regards
Kim gageroads23

Gageroads,
Would mounting the ducers off the transom be an option? While I really don't favor doing this it may be an easier alternative than trying to flush them in.

Snips

Snips , I don't think the transom mount would work for these transducers , wouldn't they have to be in a fairing block .
Are there alternative transducers I can use for this deep fishing for bottom fish in 200 to 400 metres.

Kim gageroads23

gageroads23":4uprxnnn said:
Can anyone please help with the wet face / flush mounting of a 2kW 200-8B and a CA50BL-12R furuno transducer in a fibreglass 23 foot hull. I believe I have the correct location sorted.
As I believe these trannys are rubber coated and bolt down what do I use to seal the trannies to the fibreglass to achieve a perfectly smooth surface and not create bubbles.
I would also install a wet box internally over the trannys to ensure it is watertight but for ease of construction can we use aluminium for the wet box without affecting transducer performance. The plan is to silicon the wetbox to the hull and clamp it down.
And are gland nuts for the tranny cables readily available.

Regards
Kim gageroads23
The two most common ways of mounting rubber style transducers to a trailer boat are as follows. Both involve lots of custom manufacturing which if you cannot do yourself works out rather expensive. First is a transom arrangement. See pic for details / ideas: You will need one bracket for each 50 and 200kHz transducers.

DCP_1089 (Small) (2).JPG

Second way is more involved and means cutting a large hole in your boat and building a transducer box (tank) out of marine ply and fibreglass with a face plate engineered out of 2-3mm stainless steel plate and cut out to fit the transducers "face" through it. Bolts welded on the inside help secure the transducers and cable clamps are used to secure the two cables to make them watertight.The box is fibre-glassed into the hull keeping the outside flush with the hull. Some guys allow the box to protrude through the hull by an inch or so but you want to avoid a leading edge causing bubbles so fairing it in is essential etc.

photo (Small).JPG

It's a lot of work and cost but if you get it right then well worth the effort. Good luck!

if you look through one of my earlier posts on fcv 1100 on the second page there is a pic of my 50bl12hr transom mounted which i have had mixed suscess with some days i have had on worries reading the bottom at most speeds up to 18 kts but have recently installed a new head unit and could only read while drifting i think its mainly settings but not 100% sure

Back