Transducer mount style selection

A

Anonymous

Aloha All,

I'm in the process of outfitting my new boat with a new transducer/ sonar. Appreciate your advice in advance.

Parameters
-Trailered 24ft planing hull with volvo diesel duo prop sterndrive
-Previous owner had a pole mount transducer, could drop it about 2ft below ocean surface.
-Locate deep drop structure while trolling at 5-12knots
-Deep drop/ bottom fish 600-1500ft
-Mainly focused on 1kW transducers for budget reasons

Question
Of the several transducer mounting options which type gives optimal performance?

Discussion
-Of all the reading I have done wet face gives an advantage over shoot-thru for the typical install.
-On small boats like mine the hull turbulent layer is thin so flush thru-hulls (ie SS264, B175 style) work well.
-Transom mount (ie TM265/260/270) are easy to install, but can be finicky with the turbulence coming off the hull.
-Thru-hull w/ fairing not appropriate for small trailered boats...but what about on a pole mount off the swim step? Are the B260 type Tx even waterproof at the wire connection?

Mahalo,
Sean

Sean,
The pole mount would yield the best results but is going to be a hassle. While I have seen B-260's mounted on transoms total submerged, I have also seen them have develop water intrusion issues after a couple of years under water.

Snips

Snips,
For pole mounting are the "B", "PM", or "CM" type transducers usually used? Seems like the "B" (B265LH) type with fairing would have less water resistance, but not sure if they are waterproof at the cable.

I'm thinking along the lines of a P66 for general use and a 265LH for Deep drop.
Sean

I hear of very few transducers that are pole mounted these days. The CM and PM styles were meant to be totally submerged so are a better choice for pole mounting. You will need to create a bracket to hold the transducer to the pole however.

Snips

Any performance reasons people are not pole mounting these days? Is it mostly a convenience issue since low profile flush mounts are available now for trailered boats?

Sean

Back