DFF3D Transducer selection

Tpalmerjr3

Screenshot_20210315-180346_DuckDuckGo.jpgHaving a Camas 28 HB built and working on the electronics package. I've run Furuno on my last 2 boats, the latest the TZTouch2 12" and want to do the same with this one but the TZTouch3 12". The problem is I would really like to run the DFF3D this time and looking for some assistance with transducer selection. I will have a B60 thru hull 50/200 wired direct to the MFD as well and is mounted just forward of the first step. The boat has a Michael Peter's SVVT (stepped Vee Ventilated Tunnel) hull which throws a rather large wrench in the equation. The main questions:
1. The Transom Mount very clearly says not for stepped hulls, presumably for aeration problems. If used, would I at least be able to get to a modest trolling speed, 6-8 mph, and keep picture.
2. Would a thru hull (preferred) be too much impact on performance/handling if I could even find a suitable location. Also, boat will be trailer store.
3. Any other ideas would be appreciated.
Hull design below

Tpalmerjr3,

You really don't have too many options here. If can mount the Transducer somewhere close to "Area 2" listed on the provided hull diagram, (and hopefully not have any turbulence in the process..) that should give you good coverage the DFF3D's beam width and the 50/200 kHz.

-Deep Blue

.Yeah, lack of options is the conclusion I've came to. Hadn't thought of in the tunnel. That water is very aerated while running so may not work but I'll look into it. Really wish Furuno/Airmar could develop a flush mount or lower profile through-hull that won't affect center console handling so much. Also thinking about trying the transom mount and just making a temp mount that I can move around to find the "best" spot. Not as desirable as through hull but don't want to affect handling.

Doesn't that one need to be mounted on a fairly flat part of the hull near the keel, and not tilted? I like the idea of the pocket but not sure if the hull will have a good place to mount it and I'm guessing the install cost for the pocket is considerable. I guess I always considered those more on larger displacement hulls. I'll throw that in the mix to ask the builder this week.

If the hull has not yet been laid up, fabricating a pocket is pretty simple. Basically the builder just makes a plug the size of the transducer and forms the glass around it. Doing it after the fact isn't all that difficult either.

Looking at the diagram of your hull, it would seem diabolically designed to ensure there is no good place to mount a transducer that will have clean water at planing speed. Between all the strakes and the tunnel, large amount of air are being introduced in the water flow. It may help performance but that is going to make it tough. I should think location #5 would be horrible because it will be out of the water or in a very thin highly aerated layer at planing speed. A DFF-3D transducer ideally will be mounted on the keel line. Even though the tunnel will be somewhat aerated on plane, my instinct says #2 is the best of poor options since it keeps the transducer deeper and is on center.

B60 is already being factory installed when they install Mercury vessel view package so I figured just continue to use it. I've had good experience with it in the past so figured I would rely on it for more of the running at speed picture where the DFF3D won't be operating. It's installed just port of the keel forward of the first step.

Back