FCV295 - CA82b_35R transducer mounting vs M265

Darren J

Hi,
I am in the process of upgrading to a Furuno FCV295. Boat is a 2270 Glacier Bay cat.

I have an existing M260 (with diplexer), which I need to change for the 295. Will likely fit an M265 as the tank can remain as is and I can slew frequencies. I also have an SS264HW which was to be fitted, but will I probably look to change this to an SS175HW. This option will allow me to switch between the high frequency transducers effectively jumping from narrow to wide beam (They both use the "A" tap setting for high freq, thus can be switched easily via an Airmar switchbox which I also have).
Typically I would fish between 100-400 feet (majority of use), but may get into some deeper stuff to around 1200 feet in the future. Bottom fishing mainly. So I see the high frequency wide beam being my regular go to transducer for shallower, which can be switched to narrow beam easily with the M265 (or switched any time I want to hone in on whats directly underneath. 50Hz in the M265 would rarely get used except for the deep stuff (which is not often) or to run in comparison to the narrow high frequency as dual band. While the M275 is not wet faced, the tank is already mounted so I am keen to stick with that (I know the general dislike of shoot through hull!).

Re the 82_35R option. I have the opportunity to purchase a new one of these as an alternative to the M265, at a similar cost (which is what has prompted my thinking). My questions:
Can the 82_35R be successfully wet box mounted for "shoot through"?
and if so...
If the dimensions worked, would a custom bolt down top for the old M260 tank be a suitable tank scenario to mount it in?
Are there any other tricks for successful wet box mounting of these transducers?

I doubt I need 2Kw, but went to the 295 (from a 587) due to the opportunity at a good price. Now I have the power ability it has me wondering if I should jump to a 2Kw tranny if the cost difference is also marginal?

Negatives with the 2Kw as I see it - tank mount (if possible) needs a bit of custom work. But I don't want to wet face mount this, as it is too much modification work at this stage. I would have less options to switch between alternate beam widths, vs the M265 alternative. Positives- more power for deeper work, with a narrower beam width than the aprox 16-25° of the M265 in low feq.

Any thoughts on viability for mounting and pros cons of the 82b-35R would be very much appreciated.
Cheers.

...On measuring, the M260 yellow wet box misses by about 20mm in width from being able to take the 82b-35r. So unless there is significant advantages gained with this transducer, it looks like its too much installation trouble (at least in my scenario).

However I would still welcome any comments on the likely advantages over the M265LH, or how it may compliment the SS175HW.

Cheers.

Darren J,
I would favor the SS175HW over the M265LH.
To much signal loss with the M-265 in my humble opinion.

Snips

Thanks for the reply. Plan is to fit an ss175hw.
The m265 was going to be in addition to that, so I will have a wide and narrow high frequency option.

The 2kw was a consideration rather than an m260, but looks like it may be too much work to fit.

Back