Flush / Pocket mounting DFF3d B54 Transducer

Hoodlum

I am currently setting up a new boat. Hull is a Cootacraft Chief from Australia (original Whitewater 25 Hull).
My Dilemma is the following:

I purchased a DFF3d B54 transducer that I intended to install with the supplied fairing block on the rounded keel of the hull. Main transducers are a pair of SS175HW / L - already installed. Screens are twin TZT3 12"

My issue that the trailer's rear cross member will impact the B54 transducer if I go ahead with this setup.

My options are:
1. Modify the trailer cross member to clear the transducer.
2. Flush mount the B54 that I already have into a custom fibreglass pocket so that it does not impact the cross member. Probably more difficult, but it's a nice clean install - is there any performance advantage?
3. Purchase and Install a CM54 in the same method as option 2.
4. Purchase and Install a TM54 transom mount. Simple solution but unsure of the performance of these?

What option would you go for and why?

So much depends on the hull. I think the forum has several who have run transom mount but because transoms can be so turbulent and you must mount on the first step of any stepped hulls; it is normally the last picked option if it even will work. Pocket mounting into the keel is always the best way but indeed more costly yet pay back with less drag on the boat (fuel) and hassles when trailering. Transducer placement is very important so it is good that you are asking and considering before rushing in. If you are going to do a lot of custom work, always test the transducer with a TDT1000 beforehand if nothing else than you own sanity. Many installers with experience could look over your hull and make suggestions (consulting), even if you are doing your own work. Sometimes this could be part of having them test the transducer prior to beginning work.

The B54 isn't nearly as much work to flush into the boat than the larger combo transducers. While I see the appeal, I like your plan of using existing transducers and the B54 all by itself.

I have a B54 that is mounted in a pocket on the keel. While my boat is somewhat larger (13 meters) and a twin inboard, my experience is excellent with the pocket mount. It will show a clean picture up to about 27 kts and being on the keel, there is no issue with the hull blocking any of the signal in one direction.

A vastly better option than a transom mount or a fairing block. As Johnny notes, the B54 is not all that large so fabricating a pocket is relatively easy. Generally it is done by making a wooden plug the size and shape of the transducer and using it as a form to lay up fibreglass around it.

Back