TZT12F & DFF3D, CHIRP sidescan

I am researching the TzTouch3 12" MFD (TZT12F) combined with a DFF3D multi-beam sonar and a CHIRP sidescan transducer (225T-TM904). Can one operate the DFF3D and the CHIRP sidescan on a single TZTouch3 MFD? What are the limitations operating the DFF3D and the Chirp side-scan on a single TZTouch3 MFD?

Yes, the DFF3D is an external multi-beam sonar and not restricted to whatever you choose to do with the TZT12F fish finder. If using that for Side-Scan, you can view and use both with exception the machine will not let you use DFF3D side-scan if currently viewing the Fish Finder side-scan. You must choose one or the other to look at on your configured screen. The other DFF3D modes like history, cross-section, and down scan are not restricted and can be viewed with the fish finder side-scan.

If using that for Side-Scan, you can view and use both with exception the machine will not let you use DFF3D side-scan if currently viewing the Fish Finder side-scan.
I tested with a new side-scan transducer and it turns out I am wrong. You can use the DFF3D other modes but not side-scan. If the CHIRP side-scan is installed it will disable the DFF3D side-scan function for the better CHIRP side-scan. In this instance of having both units, only CHIRP side-scan is viewable and DFF3D side-scan is no longer available.

No, once CHIRP Side-Scan is part of the network, the DFF3D side scan will not be selectable. You get one Side-Scan and one only under the current software design.

gtstang462002":1ef9cfbn said:
I honestly get nothing out of the side scan image that is presently generated by the DFF3D transducer anyhow.
Do you mean the Dff3d side scan quality is low, and not very useful?

SpineyNole":l3gmjkqt said:
gtstang462002":l3gmjkqt said:
I honestly get nothing out of the side scan image that is presently generated by the DFF3D transducer anyhow.
Do you mean the Dff3d side scan quality is low, and not very useful?

With the low frequency and the "shollower" waters that I am fishing in (Chesapeake Bay and Patuxent/Potomac rivers) it always shows the same image regardless of the structure that I am going over. I would venture to say that it would be more beneficial for looking at offshore reefs in the 3-800 ft range vs the 10-180ft range that I may cover up here. Every tool has it's place. The rest of the 3D displays are awesome.

Johnny Electron":3e0m95wa said:
If using that for Side-Scan, you can view and use both with exception the machine will not let you use DFF3D side-scan if currently viewing the Fish Finder side-scan.
I tested with a new side-scan transducer and it turns out I am wrong. You can use the DFF3D other modes but not side-scan. If the CHIRP side-scan is installed it will disable the DFF3D side-scan function for the better CHIRP side-scan. In this instance of having both units, only CHIRP side-scan is viewable and DFF3D side-scan is no longer available.
Thanks Johnny. That was exactly the type of information that I was looking for.

Hi. Don't mean to hijack this thread, but it's pretty similar to the position I'm in. I have a 6.4m (21.5ft) glass boat with outboard, with a TZTL12F (TZT2) and transom mounted 525T-PWD. I mostly fish in up to about 30m (100ft) of salt water chasing snapper and the like. I get pretty good pictures, even at speed, and quite like the bottom discrimination and accufish features. I really like the touch screen and having all the functionality on one screen, rather than multiple devices (dash space is a slight issue).

But, not having side scan is a bit of a pain and I know I'm missing fish. I'm considering the upgrade path of adding a DFF-3D and replacing my transducer with another transom mount (don't want to drill holes in the hull) the 165T-50/200-TM260. It's not the cheapest upgrade path, but will give me side scan and 3d at the cost of bottom discrimination (I believe).

Just chasing some advice as to whether there may be a better upgrade path - like maybe go to TZT3 (which I believe has side scan). There may also be another Fish Finder box that I can use as an odd on to the TZT2 to get sidescan? Happy for any advice you may have?

For your fishing depths, I wouldn't suggest the DFF3D. I think would recommend either a DFF1-UHD and and a good wide band CHIRP transducer unless you are ready to jump to the TZT3. If going with TZT3 and keeping the TZT2 in a mixed system, I would go with the CHIRP side-scan and the existing transducer on the TZT2.

For your fishing depths, I wouldn't suggest the DFF3D. I think would recommend either a DFF1-UHD and and a good wide band CHIRP transducer unless you are ready to jump to the TZT3. If going with TZT3 and keeping the TZT2 in a mixed system, I would go with the CHIRP side-scan and the existing transducer on the TZT2.
Thanks Johnny. I did look at DFF1-UHD, but I don't believe that will give me side scan?

If I went to TZT3 (and I pretty much could for less than the add on of a DFF-3D and 165T-50/200-TM260) I'd then be up for some dash mods, as my TZT2 (12") is flush mounted.

Is there another path to making my TZT2 Side Scan capable? Was prepared to pull the trigger on DFF-3D and 165T-50/200-TM260 but the 165T-50/200-TM260 is proving very hard to obtain. (P.S> I now know I can two finger tap to screen shot 😁).

Dash.jpgSnapper.jpg

I was in a similar position, but I already have a tzt3. I was very interested in the Dff3d. But I ended up ordering the sidescan transducer that I can go directly to my Chartplotter, and ordered the bbds1 that I can use with my existing transponder and accufish and bottom discrimination.

My current transducer is glassed in and being a stepped hull there are not many places for me to add the large chirp transducers.

This gives me a chance to see how the sidescan works for me. And the transducers keep getting back ordered so I wouldn’t have them anytime soon anyway.

who knows, I may still get a Dff3d at some point, or maybe ill find that this allows me to see the fish I’m missing now and is all I need.

I was in a similar position, but I already have a tzt3. I was very interested in the Dff3d. But I ended up ordering the sidescan transducer that I can go directly to my Chartplotter, and ordered the bbds1 that I can use with my existing transponder and accufish and bottom discrimination.

My current transducer is glassed in and being a stepped hull there are not many places for me to add the large chirp transducers.

This gives me a chance to see how the sidescan works for me. And the transducers keep getting back ordered so I wouldn’t have them anytime soon anyway.

who knows, I may still get a Dff3d at some point, or maybe ill find that this allows me to see the fish I’m missing now and is all I need.
@Dmc57 I'm very keen to hear how the side scan is working out for you. What do you use it for, shallow work only?

I've got a TZT12F with DFF3D (B54 tdr) and love it but very keen to see how the 225T side scan works for seeing tuna. The idea would be to set side scan range to say 200m and use this device to see if there is tuna in the chum line, on either side of the boat. If it works I'll be stoked and then have to get a DFF1-UHD to plug the B265LH into. Currently the B265LH is occupying the tdr port on the TZT12F

Transducer is suppose to be delivered today, and bbds1 has been shipped. I fish in 75’- 125‘ most of the time. Hopefully I’ll be able to try it out next week.

Ill let you know how it goes.

Had a supplier updated today indicating that stock of the 165T-50/200-TM260 Transducer may be available ex USA soon. They have a DFF-3D on the shelf for me. It's quite an expensive upgrade.

Is there another path to making my TZT2 Side Scan capable?

TZT3 offers two different side-scan options. One is via the DFF3D, the other is direct by internal sounder of the TZT12/12/19. If you have both options the DFF3D side-scan is locked out for the better detail CHIRP Side-scan.

TZT3 offers two different side-scan options. One is via the DFF3D, the other is direct by internal sounder of the TZT12/12/19. If you have both options the DFF3D side-scan is locked out for the better detail CHIRP Side-scan.
Thanks. Yeah, I saw that in one of your earlier responses, which for me suggests that if I went up to TZT3 I’d be better off with the in-built fish finder. Problem is, I’d rather not cut my dash up if I don’t have to.

Is there a network fish finder box and transducer combo that I can get for my existing TZT2 to obtain Chirp Side Scan?

Back