realistic side-to-side max range for DFF3D & CHIRP sidescan

I am researching a TZT12F with a DFF3D multi-beam sonar & CHIRP side scan sonar. What is the maximum side-to-side range of the DFF3D side scan mode that I can realistically expect? What is the maximum side-to-side range of the CHIRP side scan?

SpineyNole,

Keep in mind that both of these Side-scan units are not an apple-to-apple comparison, simple because they are based on using different technologies.

The DFF3D is using a fixed frequency at 165kHz and is using steerable beams from it's down facing transducer. The new CHIRP Side-Scan is chirping frequencies from 220-240kHz and is using fixed mount transducers that are already facing outward toward the water columns.

With the DFF3D's Side-scan you should be getting a depth around 600 ft. from each port or starboard sides. For the TZT3's CHIRP Side-Scan, this should provide you with around 750 ft. depth from each of it's port and starboard sides.

- Deep Blue :wink7

I understand the technology, and realize they are different. I was not asking the depth capability for each technology, I am asking how much horizontal distance is scanned (side to side).

Roughly 300 feet to each side with the DFF3D and 650 feet to each side with the CHIRP Side-Scan with resolution being better on the CHIRP side-scan due to the higher freq.

Back