Navpilot 300 as Autohelm Type 100 replacement

shipsngiggles

Hello everyone.

I have a 1993 Bayliner 4388 and am in the process of removing the old Autohelm Type 100 unit based on SeaTalk 1 protocol. Here is the list of items I have on the boat now.

ST6000 control head
ST7000 control head
Type 100 Pump Control Computer and AP (Single Unit)
Autohelm Flux Heading Compass
Type 1 Steeering Pump
Hynautic Hydraulic System with K19-P ram

I plan on keeping the pump as I know it works with the system.

I have a few questions.

#1) Based on the information, I believe that the NavPilot 300 will handle the pump but I wanted to make sure just in case.

#2) Can I use the existing flux heading compass that is on the boat? I hate wasting things and the solid state compass is simple and reliable.

#3) If I can't use the Flux Heading Compass, would the AP work with the Garmin SteadyCast Heading Sensor which is NMEA2000 compatible?

Thank you for your time.

Ships N Giggles

#1) Based on the information, I believe that the NavPilot 300 will handle the pump but I wanted to make sure just in case.

As long as it stays within the max current specs of the pilot. If it consumes too much, then the NP711c would be appropriate. What is the normal currentand the Max surge current requirement for the installed pump?

#2) Can I use the existing flux heading compass that is on the boat? I hate wasting things and the solid state compass is simple and reliable
You can if it works well. A pilot will only work as good as the connected heading and hydraulics provides. If you feed poor heading then the pilot will suffer.

#3) If I can't use the Flux Heading Compass, would the AP work with the Garmin SteadyCast Heading Sensor which is NMEA2000 compatible? Same answer as above. If the heading is good and responsive, you can use it. I don't know about either of the units so all I can say is you can try it and see. Much better to use what you have if it works fine for you.

Back