NavPilot 300 With TZT3 and Simrad

calla969

I recently installed a NavPilot 300 with my TZT12F and SCX-20 and it is working great. In my network, I also have a Simrad Go7 that I would like the option to navigate from as well. For some reason, I cannot get this to work. The NavPilot processor shows up in the network on the Simrad unit, but does not show any identification number like all other components do. When I go to the autopilot screen, I get an error saying no AP processor found. I have also reached out to Simrad for help since all of the Furuno components are quite happy, but wanted to make sure there isn't something I'm missing on the NavPilot side that I'm missing. Is there a setting that I'm missing? Will the NavPilot allow control from 2 MFDs, or is it limited to the control head and a single MFD? I did quite a bit of reading before purchasing the NavPilot and everything I came across implied that it would work with pretty much any manufacturer's MFD as long as it was on the same NMEA2k network. Not a deal breaker at all and I'm plenty happy with what I have, would just be nice if I had the option to utilize the Simrad screen for AP functions as well.

You should be able to follow route/waypoint information from the Simrad with the NavPilot by activating Nav Mode from the NavPilot. This assumes you have the proper PGNs (129283, 129284, and 129285) being output from the Simrad.

You will not be able to control the NavPilot from the Simrad MFD like you can from the Furuno MFD.

I also have a Simrad Go7 that I would like the option to navigate from as well.
Greetings and welcome to the forum, the Simrad Go7 doesn't have a very robust NMEA 2000 user interface like our equivalent GP1871F. NMEA 2000 is very universal however and your unit is capable of supporting PGNs 129283 & 129284 according to the IM. So I might check settings, network, nmea2000 and verify you have both receive waypoint and send waypoint enabled, that's about the most I know on that device.

- Maggy

Thank you and I agree. Their NMEA 2k is not very robust at all. It's installed in my boat because I had it on hand from another boat and there are some things I do like about it, but it's usefulness on the network is very limited. I've reached out to their support, but have not heard back yet. I'll see if I can get anywhere using your suggestions. I was under the impression that the NavPilot could be used with pretty much any MFD on the same N2k network with somewhat limited capabilities. Thank you.

I was under the impression that the NavPilot could be used with pretty much any MFD on the same N2k network with somewhat limited capabilities. Thank you.
It's a good impression, taking FishTech's advise - the pilot assumes you are outputting those proper PGNs (129283, 129284, and 129285). Looking at the manual, you have 2 of the 3. What I would suggest doing is go on down to the boat, do the NMEA2000 "send waypoint" procedure on the GO7 then head on over to the Pilot control head. Check the manual, but there's an option to view incoming PGNS. With that screen up, punch in a "go to" on the GO7 and see if those numbers get highlighted in the pilot control head - if so you're good to go (granted your NMEA2000 GPS is also outputting the position PGNs too).

I've reached out to their support, but have not heard back yet. I'll see if I can get anywhere using your suggestions.
This seems a bit frustrating, however hopefully it's not so complicated and our suggestions work out

Let us know what you find out,

- Maggy

I spent quite a while on the boat yesterday with everything turned on and made no progress. The send and receive waypoints was already active on the Go7. If I go into the data screens on the Go7 I can see all of the data being received from the SCX-20. If I start a navigation course from the TZT, I can see all of that data displayed on the data screen for that device (from the Go7). I have the Go7 set to use the TZT as the source for navigation and even though I can see all the appropriate data from the TZT on the Go7 data screen, the navigation screen on the Go7 does not display the active navigation. In the devices list on the Go7 I can see the SCX-20, the TZT, my VHF, the NavPilot Controller, and the NavPilot Processor. What's strange here is that all display the serial number of the product except for the NavPilot components. They are both blank where they should be displaying the serial number. I'm starting to think the Go7 is incapable of any meaningful networking other than using the SCX-20, which works fine. Frustrating that it is receiving navigation data from the TZT, but won't display it on the Nav screen.

I'll try looking for the incoming PGNs from the NavPilot controller today to see if that gets me anywhere. Simrad still hasn't responded to my questions.

I appreciate your help.

Well, I guess I'm giving up. I've been through every setting on the Go7 and the Navpilot and it looks like the Go7 must be programmed to not work with other makes of electronics. It looks like PGNs are being properly sent and received, but it just won't do anything with the data. Glad I have a TZT3 as my primary. Thanks for all your help. I'll continue to wait to hear back from Simrad to see if they have anything to say.

If you find anything out, please let everyone know. It might help someone else with the same type unit. I know it can be frustrating. If you really want to dig in, the TZT3 has a built in NMEA 2000 recorder. If you take a USB thumb drive and put it into the TZT3 and turn on the NMEA 2000 log under initial setup, it will record NMEA 2000 items. If you can get a recording of the Go7 sending an active route to the bus, our support could look at the data to see if the PGN error can be spotted. Before doing that please ensure you are running their newest software.

It looks like PGNs are being properly sent and received, but it just won't do anything with the data.
On the GO7 when you say "won't do anything" do you mean hitting the STBY button and the controller errors with "No Nav Data?" Are you're setting a "go to" waypoint or route first, then manually steering your boat toward the waypoint before going to the pilot controller and pressing the "STBY" button?

- Maggy

On the GO7 when you say "won't do anything" do you mean hitting the STBY button and the controller errors with "No Nav Data?" Are you're setting a "go to" waypoint or route first, then manually steering your boat toward the waypoint before going to the pilot controller and pressing the "STBY" button?

- Maggy
No, the Furuno stuff all functions fine. There are no errors on the controller or the TZT. The entire issue is with the Go7 not being able to display an active route or interface with the AP at all. If I navigate to a point on the TZT and then go into the device data from the Go7, I can see the relevant data there that matches the TZT (course, distance, etc), but the navigation screen on the Go7 does not show active navigation and if I go to the autopilot screen on the Go7 I get an error saying "No autopilot computer". If I use the Go7 to navigate to a point, I don't have any option to use the AP for the navigation. I feel like I'm wasting your time with this as it appears to be a Simrad issue. The Furuno stuff is working fine. I was just wondering if there was some setting on the Furuno side that I needed to adjust to make this work, but I think it's going to be something on the Simrad side if it's possible at all. Simrad has responded to me and said "You need to place an active waypoint about 5 miles from your boat and select go to on the navigator. The do a auto source on the GO display. The GO should then be able to navigate using the information from the navigator." I tried that and it did not change anything. Hopefully they can provide some additional suggestions. I'm assuming that since they provided that guidance, they expect it to work, so that seems positive, I guess.

Back