navnet fishfinder

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimalmond

i have the navnet 3d with dff1 and 1k in hull transducer. noticed earlier this year when i get to about 425 feet i loose the bottom. it was on auto setting and the fishing setting. it would not find the bottom again till i got back to 400ft. also i just noticed this past weekend that i cannot select dual freq. split screen. those items when you select with roto are very faint in the back ground and if you try to select nothing happens. the dff1 is set on 1k as we checked this first. any clues.

thanks jim

Jimalmond,
Your problems are odd indeed. I would recommend verifying your setup and then resetting everything to default. First off, you said that the sounder had been setup for 1kw. The NavNet 3D does this thru the software. I find many users trying to set the sounder to 1kw via the DIP switches on the board. (not needed of NN3D) In the past, I have found that sometimes the wrong switch or switches get moved. I would recommend that if you moved the DIP settings on the board, that you put them all back to default. (power off of course) (The tops of all the switches should be back away from the cables – aka “ALL OFF”) Now power up the system and go to MENU – SYSTEM – INSTALLATION WIZARD to enter the install mode. When the Wizard does the SEARCH, do NOT hit SKIP. When the unit gets to the install screen, go to the top and select SOUNDER, then the DFF1 sub tab. Check the transducer is setup correctly on this screen, it is very important. If you are manually inputting the FREQ of your transducer beware that on the MFD8/12 you must add an extra digit. Example 50.0Khz (aka 50Khz) needs to be input as 500 not 50; and the 200.0Khz is input as 2000. Make sure the power is setup to 1Kw. Once you are happy with the setup screen, hit SAVE AND EXIT. Now… After the system comes up normally, go under MENU – FISHFINDER and ensure the DFF1 is selected as your sounder source on the GENERAL tab. (if not; select it) Then go to the next tab (DFF1) and select it. Go to the bottom of this page/tab and click on the box that says “RESET DEFAULT SETTINGS” and click on it and say YES. This will reset those settings to factory default. Next go down to your SYSTEM icon and pick the DFF tab there. On that page of settings you will also find a “RESET DEFAULT SETTINGS” button at the bottom. Please do the same as before and reset the setting to factory defaults. Lastly, go to the last tab (of system icon) called MEMORY. Here you will find where you can reset the sounder itself to factory settings. Please select the DFF1 and hit the RESET FACTORY SETTINGS button and confirm. At this point you will most likely get an error on your NN3D (alarm – ETR CUT). This is because the sounder is restarting itself; it will restore itself in a minute or two. You can hit CANCEL to stop the alarm if you want. Your sounder will be ready once it comes back without an X at the top. (sounder icon) I would recommend going to the sounder screen (full screen) and turning the roto-key to the first finger and then pushing, then choose DUAL. (dual freq) Next select the second finger of the roto-key and push to select AUTO CRUISING. Lastly, on the Roto-key turn on the finger that says AUTO RANGE. This should establish you a good starting bottom. After you take the unit out, you will want to try AUTO FISHING and MANUAL modes while taking control of the RANGE yourself if needed. If you have problems , can you please post some screen shots of what you are seeing? Don’t forget that when running manual mode you will need to control your gain for both HF and LF yourself. Auto range is good at the dock and shallow waters but as you move out, I would suggest you change the ranges to the appropriate depth yourself. ( turn off AUTO RANGE and use the Range +/-)
Let us know.

johnny,

thanks for the reply. i know for a fact that the switches were setup manually and was checked this past weekend to make sure it was in the 1k position. i am scheduled to go to the gulf stream the 24th of sept and will see if it will hold bottom after 425 once i set it on the manual setting which i was unable to do last time i was out. i hope that will take care of the depth issue and if not i will post some screen shots and try what you had listed.

jim

i am interested in this post for I have the same symptoms,with a mfd12,dff1 and a thru hull b164 td. will try the solution on mine also. thanks tommy

johnny,

was able to use the fishfinder again thia past weekend in deeper water
had a few issues right off the bat with temp and it holding the bottom. when i got in the boat on friday the waterway temo was reading in the 40's and it would not finde the bottom. the actual temp in water way was about 61. the next morning when i turned it on the temp was in the 50's and it was reading bottom. one question is i do have the hub in my system and i had heard that with the hub in place you do have to switch the dff1 to 1k....is this true or will navnet3 do this automaticly and if not im going back again next week and will have enough time to reset everything. when i do the procedure you outline will i need to back up anything like way points so i want loose anything

jim

jimalmond
i have the navnet 3d with dff1 and 1k in hull transducer.
You said you had an In-Hull transducer. You can't get water temp when you don't have water contact. What is your temp source? In-hull transducers have a liquid (normally non-toxic glycol or mineral oil) and it is VERY important that it is entirely full to prevent air to develop in the fluid and to keep the transducer cool. If the fluid is allowed to drop, it is possible to overheat and damage the transducer. Is your transducer fully serviced? Is your hull solid fiberglass? How thick is the fiberglass where you mounted the transducer?
Johnny

jimalmond,
B164 should have good temp for your DFF1 sounder. You might need to calibrate your temp using the temp offset under (MENU - SYSTEM - CALIBRATION) You also want to ensure that your temp from the DFF1 is the selected source in your setup. (MENU - SYSTEM - INSTALL WIZARD - GLOBAL TAB - DATA SOURCES SUB TAB) If you find that your temp is still having problems, it is most likely the temp sensor in your transducer.

You can test your unit using someone else's transducer (with working temp) or try testing your thermistor with a multi meter. Depending on the water temp, the thermistor should should provide proper resistance. The thermistor pins on your transducer are pins 7 and 4. You would turn off your unit and remove the transducer cable; checking the ohm value between pins 7 and 4. (on the transducer cable) I have included a temp to resistance chart from Airmar for your reference.

Your transducer depth performance doesn’t sound good for a B164. If you followed my previous instructions, I would say the odds are that your transducer is the culprit. If you doubt the DFF1, you can always send the unit into the Furuno service center for testing. Many times you can try another transducer hanging over the side of the boat and see if the problem(s) clear. I find that in about 95% of the cases, the problem is transducer and not sounder related.

Johnny

Attachments

• Temp.jpg
    Temp.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 4,580
DFF11K hull sensor navnet3D, I have not seen before.
g.gif

johnny,

i have done the above reset listed above and still have the same issues. i also have cleaned the contacts on the connector going from the tranducer to the dff1 at the mix and match connector at the transducer. the temp seems to be working fine but the depth is not. today the water temp was around 58 and the depth would come and go and finally no matter what i tried it would not lock in on the depth. i had it on the auto range and then took it off of that and set the range manually as well as the gain.

jim

Jim,
I am glad you got your transducer temp working, but the transducer itself sounds like it isn't. I would recommend putting a known good transducer over the side of the boat to verify that it is the transducer and not the sounder. You can send the sounder into our service center for testing to verify that it is up to specs, but as I said before; in most cases the transducer is the cause of the majority of sounder issues. You might speak with you dealer where you purchased the unit and transducer for assistance.
Johnny

johnny,

after trying several things the dealer and i have decided to send the sounder module in to have it checked. it should be on the way monday or tuesday. not sure how you test this problem as the mial problem is loosing bottom in say 375 to 425 and above. it will not lock back on until you get in 350 or so of depth. when it does loose bottom no matter what depth it takes several minutes to lock back in so this is why airmar doesnt think its the transducer. so with that said we will check the module first and then go from there

jim

jimalmond
The service center wont disappoint. If there is something going on with the sounder, they will find it. They will also update the unit to the most current software during the checkout process.

We have seen this a few times where echos are strong but it will not give a depth reading, was advised that this is a software problem and when we have uploaded new software has fixed this particular problem.

i am running the 2.5 software on the navet3d right now. i went to update to 2.7 this past weekend and was unable to to get the request update file to up load from navet to sd card to upload to the site. i tried with 2) 2g sd cards and both said error when i tried this procedure. what would be the next step to be able to update. i understand the dff1 that i sent in for service will be updated but need the system to also be updated

jim

Jim,
If you update your unit by the instructions in the manual, it is currently normal to get the error. If you ignore it and continue on, the process will work. Normally here in the USA we update the unit by skipping a few steps and downloading the software directly from the Furuno USA web site. We have a training video that shows how to do the incremental software update in detail, under our LEARNING section. Here is a direct link.
http://www.furunousa.com/LearningCenter ... ideos.aspx
The video is entitled "Install the Incremental Software Upgrade"
Jeff

johnny

just wanted to verify one thing that the upgrade instructions says thats different than the training video didnt.

in the instructions it says after the update you are to go to the vector charts and reset to default settings. it doesnt tell you to do this in the video. which one are we suppose to do

jim

Jim,
2.05 software already supported the C-map/Jeppesen charts so the reset isn't required as you upgrade to 2.07. (although if done, it wont hurt anything) The video was shot prior to 2.05 when the reset was recommended/added. It wasn't enough to justify re-shooting the video.

johnny

ok once i get the ddf1 back form service dept i will try the update once again as address in the above.

thanks jim

Jim,
If you still have issues with the DFF1 holding the bottom you might try lowering both the HF and LF Bottom Level settings in the system menu. This setting controls the sounders digital readout, if the sounder doesn't show a digital depth none of the Auto modes will work properly. Depending how deep of water you are in you may be able to duplicate this at the dock. Set the sounder into a Auto Fishing mode then increasing the Bottom Level setting until the sounder loses the digital readout. Once this happens the sounder will go into a search mode trying to reaquire the bottom. The Bottom Level setting may seem backwards at first but it is based off a db scale, lower is more sensitive.

Snips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back