TZ iBoat control of NavNet 711c

Status
Not open for further replies.

madmike

At the helm I've got a TZT9F chartplotter and NavPilot 711c. The plan was to check on stuff and make course adjustments from the chart table with an iPad with TZ iBoat. I'm having some trouble figuring out the iPad connection to the autopilot. NavNet Remote works in a clunky way. TZ iBoat partially works. NavNet Viewer and NavNet Controller apps seem pretty useless.

From the TZT9F chartplotter, we can control the autopilot using the control buttons in the lefthand data bar. We can pick a point on the chart, click "Goto" then "Yes" when the chartplotter asks "Do you want to use NavPilot to navigate to this point?" The NavPilot then switches from Standby (or Auto) to Nav mode and steers to the waypoint.

From the iPad, we can use NavNet Remote to mirror the chartplotter screen and control the autopilot as described above. But the resolution and response time are kinda slow.

TZ iBoat is a much nicer way to view charts, AIS targets, and instrument data. I enabled TZ iBoat autopilot output over NMEA 0183. I can pick a point and click "Goto" to put TZ iBoat into navigation mode. I've confirmed that TZ iBoat is outputting APB and RMB sentences that get translated and forwarded to the NavPilot as NMEA 2000 129283 and 129284 PGNs by a YachtDevices YDNR router. After starting navigation on the iPad, I can go to the NAV Options menu on the NavPilot and change Nav Data Source to "Both" with the YDNR as Source 1 and TZT9F as Source 2. All that seemed like it was complicated to setup and debug, but looks like data is getting from iPad to NavPilot.

With the pilot in Standby mode, however, starting a Goto on TZ iBoat doesn't engage the NavPilot into Nav mode. TZ iBoat thinks it's navigating, and the pilot stays in Standby. That's definitely not working.

If I first put the NavPilot into Nav mode manually with the 711c button, then I can start a Goto on TZ iBoat and then the pilot will navigate. That makes me think that TZ iBoat is sending out the navigation and XTE data, but somehow the "start Nav mode" message isn't getting through.

Another weird behavior I haven't totally figured out is that sometimes after starting a Goto on the TZT9F, the NavPilot will reset it's Nav Data Source to "Source 2" only. Then I have to go back through all the menus to NAV Options and change it back to "Both." If TZ iBoat hasn't sent any recent nav data, then the option to select YDNR as a data source isn't available.

In summary, I'm looking for solutions to 2 problems:
  1. Is there a way to get "Goto" on TZ iBoat to engage Nav mode on the NavPilot and start navigating?
  2. Is there a way to prevent Nav Data Source from reverting from Both sources to TZT9F only?
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back