Help with "new" Navnet vx1 install/setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

I am installing two NNvx1 displays with a 6kw open array, bb sounder and gps. I will be installing an ethernet switch as well. I removed a FR1712, FCV582L and NS 952x. I plan to connect the bbox sounder to the switch, each vx1 display to the switch and the gps antenna directly to display one and radar to display two. As far as nmea connections, I plan on connecting display one to my Raymarine st5000+ autopilot. Does this sound right so far?

I would like to upload all of my waypoints into the navnet system and I have read about using Maxsea software. After reading the installation and op manual online, I am unclear as to which Maxsea program I need to download to my laptop.

Once I enter my waypoints into the software on my laptop, can I connect to the navnet by plugging my computer into the switch or do I need to purchase a furuno pc cable?

Also, I have a navionics classic card from my prior northstar 952x. I looked at their website but could not find out if this will work on my navnet and if it can be updated at all. It appears that the card will fit in the navnet navionics slot but will be a little narrower than the slot itself.

Thanks for the help!

Does this sound right so far?
Yes! It sounds good.

I am unclear as to which MaxSea program I need to download to my laptop.
MaxSea won't be that helpful with NN1. Back in its day, C-Map Planner software was offered for sale with a card reader that works with the same memory cards used by the NN1. (No longer sold) You could wire a serial PC connection (as shown in the operator's manual) and use MaxSea "Classic" V12 (current version 12.6.4) to dump the points and routes over via a serial ASCII dump. There is also a version of MaxSea "Classic" that is a "NavNet" version. It is possible to connect and transfer points via the network but that software only runs in XP and the setup isn't very friendly just for dealing with points.

Also, I have a navionics classic card from my prior northstar 952x. I looked at their website but could not find out if this will work on my navnet and if it can be updated at all. It appears that the card will fit in the navnet navionics slot but will be a little narrower than the slot itself.
If your NavNet 1 is programmed for Navionics, then the card you have from your older NorthStar will most likely work. The NN1 Navionics unit uses a Navionics NavChart chip that only fills about 3/4 of the chart slot. The chart card should have a Navionics Classic map on it for the NavNet 1 to use.

Great! Thanks very much for your help!

This may be my lucky day. I have a cmap nt pc planner and card reader. I use it on my other boat. If I understand your response correctly, I can connect the cmap memory card to my NNvx1? Would this be via the card readers usb cable converted to an ethernet plug into the onboard switch or, somehow, have the NNvx1 upload the data from the cmap memory card?

It doesn't look like I could put the cmap memory card into the nnvx1 chart slot.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Wow! I haven't seen one of those in years. You are one lucky fella.

You will NOT be able to use a C-map chart card in your NavNet 1 UNLESS you decide to have a dealer or the service center convert the unit to C-map programming. (Navionics units don't read C-map cards, or vice versa) You CAN use the memory card (you have shown) to save the points and routes and take it to the PC using the software. You can add, edit, delete, and conduct your planning on the PC using the C-map PC planner software. Afterwards, you can save the files back on the memory card and take it to the NavNet. Although the C-map and Navionics units have different programming, the machine DOES save the points and routes on the memory card in the SAME format.

If you did have the NavNet converted to a C-map unit, it would no longer read Navionics chart cards (like the one you showed) but it would read C-map NT+ (FP chip) maps. This would allow you to use the same chart chip with the PC as the NavNet, when you do the planning.

There is one extra knowledge nugget that you might like to have. Navionics quit selling the Classic maps that have any coverage with Canada (like Great Lakes chart) and stopped updating these Classic Maps in 2009. You can still buy many areas but C-map is (currently) still updating the NT+ maps for this unit and they also offers areas that cover Canada.

I think I'm getting it. However, I am still struggling to understand how "Afterwards, you can save the files back on the memory card and take it to the NavNet".

How do I get the files from my cmap memory card into the navnet?

The memory card is just that, a memory card. It is the same type of memory card that Navionics would sell you (if they still sold them). Don't think of it as C-map. Back up any points to the card from your machine (MENU - SYSTEM CONFIG - DATA TRANSFER - UPLOAD/DOWNLOAD DATA - SAVE DATA TO MEMORY CARD - select what you wish to save - then hit SAVE) Think of it as a memory card (which it is) that the waypoints and routes are saved in NN1 format; regardless if the machine is programmed for Navionics or C-map. The C-Map planner software can't tell that the points came from a Navionics unit. (It is in the same format which the c-map would save in) Take it to the PC and use the software. When you reverse the process, the PC will save in the NN1 format to the memory card. You then take the memory card to the machine and put it where the map normally is. Then hit (MENU - SYSTEM CONFIG - DATA TRANSFER - UPLOAD/DOWNLOAD DATA - LOAD DATA FROM MEMORY CARD - select what you wish to load - then hit LOAD) Now the info is on the NN1.

BEWARE: the NN1 does not merge points or routes. If you load points into the unit from the memory card it will erase what is currently in the machine before loading in the information from the card.

Awesome! Thanks for all of your help! I didn't realize that the cmap memory card could be read by the NN1. The chart card port on the front looks very different as far as pin config, etc. I will give it a go once I complete the wiring for the install.

Looking at your photos again a bit closer, the C-Map PC Planner set you have might not be the one you need for the NN1. The NavNet 1 uses C-Map FP cards or Navionics NavChart Chips (depending on programming). For memory cards, both programmed NN1 units use a FP chip memory card. (fits the full slot) The card you have pictured look like it but as I zoom in seems to say C-card not FP-card. You better double check with C-map to make sure the PC Planner kit you have is correct for the NN1. (Toll free C-map tech support 1-888-316-7275)

I have a c-card but need an fp card reader. I spoke with cmap and no luck.

Can I hook my pc to nn vx1 via a furuno pc cable and transfer waypoints from my PC Planner ?

Can I use my Navionics PC app and connect that to the NNet via a pc cable?

Sorry to hear that it wasn't the right Planner kit.
I really don't know if the Navionics software supports the ASCII serial dump or not. You might give them a call (1-800-848-5896) How to wire the NavNet PC cable is covered in the manual or you could purchase a pre-built one from your Furuno dealer (part# NET-DWN-CBL). This provides a typical 9 pin serial connection to the PC com port.

I have not attempted a waypoint upload yet as I now have bigger fish to fry.

I wired everything up this weekend. My radar and plotter work. I followed the installation manual and setup docs available on your website. I can see gps/nav data on both displays and radar on both displays.

My problem is that my bbff1 is not being seen. It has a solid green light instead of a flashing light. It does light up the appropriate indicator on the network switch. All I see is a blue screen on the sounder page.

I have set both displays to ETR for temp and depth. I have two airmar/furuno transducers that worked a few days ago with my fcv582L. I tried both transducers without a change. I cannot figure out if I have a setting off or a problem with a network cable.

I greatly appreciate any help you can offer!

The sounder having a solid green light means it doesn't see a NavNet to speak with. This normally means you have a bad network cable or used a cross over cable when a straight cable was required for vice versa. A normal configuration for the Vx2 is all straight cables into the hub and then the hub does the switching.

You might look at this tread...
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=306

Thanks. The BBFF1 is running a 6pin-6pin furuno cable with the 6pin-rj45 adaptor cable by furuno into the switch. I also plugged the bbff1 directly into the NN vx1 network port but it didn't help. I was going to hard a hard reset on the bbff1.

If you used the blue Furuno 6 pin to 6 pin (cross-over) direct from the BBFF1 sounder to the network connection of NN1 display; then it should have worked. If the light goes solid after 3 minutes of power "on" then you either have a bad cable or bad network card in the display or sounder. You might use a meter to check the cable. The blue network cable should be as follows:

1 to 3
3 to 1
2 to 4
4 to 2
Pin 5 Not used
6 to 6

The black Furuno 6 pin to RJ45 adaptor is also a cross-over. Together they would make a straight cable into the hub. If your display has the same combo, then it should also work with a working switch/hub. Conducting a sounder reset is a good idea, but don't think it will fix your problem. It is worth a shot.

I checked the cable on my lunch break. The cable coming off the bbff1 is a black cable #MJ A6SPF0007-100c. This goes into the furuno adapter (6 pin to ethernet rj45 plug).

I did the hard reset as well. I only get a solid green light. I have not seen it flash yet. I know the switch works because I can get my nav info on both displays and radar on both displays. I have double checked all of the network setup and sounder setup such as ETR and SOUNDER.

When you first apply power to the sounder, the light should be solid for about 30 seconds then start flashing for the first three minutes. If it sees a NavNet it will remain flashing. If not, it will go solid. If you are not getting ANY flashing, then you got larger problems. You should power on the sounder and check. If it never flashes, then you need to send the sounder in for repair evaluation. The black cable you are using is not a Furuno network cable. That is a normal fluxgate compass cable. It is a straight cable. It would never allow the sounder to talk with the display when directly connected. (You would need a cross-over in this case) When adding the Furuno black adaptor (which is a cross-over) you would have an overall cross-over, which normally wouldn't work when going to a hub. At this point, I would be more concerned about the sounder power up not flashing the light.

Again, thanks for all of your help!

Sounder problem solved. I acquired a different etr 6/10, plugged it into my setup and it worked instantly; flashing light and all!!! I will send the defective one back to furuno for repairs then I hope I can sell it.

I was successful installing my cmap pc planner onto my laptop and got it reading my map card as well as my user c-card. I will try to either upload from that program into my navnet via an ethernet connection or will try to import waypoints into my navionics pc app and see if that will communicate over the network. I'll post my success or failure once I've had time to play around with it. Hopefully, this info can help someone else down the road.

I do have a new question: My rd 139s. etr 6/10 and open array (1943c) all have a ground post for ship's ground. I have a pursuit frp hull. The grounding plate is in my bilge area and I don't have access to it from my console or on top of my hardtop. I assume this is a protective measure in case of a lighting hit. Is it o.k. to not hook up those ground points? I do have ground (-) bus bars in my console but I do not know if they connect to the ship's ground.

I do have a new question: My rd 139s. etr 6/10 and open array (1943c) all have a ground post for ship's ground. I have a pursuit frp hull. The grounding plate is in my bilge area and I don't have access to it from my console or on top of my hardtop. I assume this is a protective measure in case of a lighting hit. Is it o.k. to not hook up those ground points? I do have ground (-) bus bars in my console but I do not know if they connect to the ship's ground.

If you have a bonding system (like your hull plate) then it is recommended that it be used for your protection. The equipment will function without it, but safety would dictate that you properly connect the chassis grounds to a suitable grounding system.

Glad to hear you got a working sounder on the boat. :jump

I wanted to provide an update to my previous issues in case it helps someone later.

I sent my etr 6/10 to furuno and they found a faulty network board. I purchased a different used one in good working condition and it now works perfectly with my original wiring.

Just spent 4 days in the Bahamas and the equipment was a great asset. The radar put me on birds consistently.

I could not upload waypoints from my pc to the nn1. I connected the pc to the onboard network and the nn1 said it was loading waypoints but it never stopped "loading". I had to power down and reboot. Then, I entered the data manually.

I guess I'll eventually invest in the proper software.

my experience with the furuno serial cable is that it came mis-wired from the factory. my I/T guy figured it out and I can now down load to my pc and to maxsea. are the navionics memory cards still available?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back