FCV 587 TVG limitations

A

Anonymous

Hi.
I have a FVC 587 paired with a ss264w 200khz transducer. I only fish waters up to 50m and was wondering about the high, med, low settings of tvg available in the menu. I know that 'high' would be wrong for my use but am really chasing info on what depth does the gain achieve 100% on the 'low' setting.

Cheers

Mitch,
The default TVG setting for the FCV-587 is medium. The High setting will give you more gain in shallow water and Low will give you less. I have never tested them to see how deep each will go. However I will try them the next time out. In my local waters (0-900ft) I leave mine on Medium and fine tune with the Gain and Clutter controls.

Snips

Thanks Snips. Can you clarify this for me then. On medium I can turn the gain up to 10 and still not clutter out the screen. If I go into the calibration settings and increase the gain on Hf from 0 up to +10, then I can clutter out the screen at a gain of about 8. Would I be better off increasing the tvg to high and backing of the calibration values or is what I have done the best thing to do? Can you explain how the increase in gain in the calibration menu works please.
Cheers

Mitch,
I have never tried to Clutter out the 200Khz side with the wide beam. But remember that with a wider beam you are spreading out the transducers energy, thus your power is less in any one direction. Clutter is usually pretty weak i.e. blues/green and with less effective power on your target it only makes sense you are going to need more gain.

The FCV-587 only has one main gain control and if you are using the sounder in the dual frequency mode it effects both frequencies equally. But sometimes you don't need as much gain on 50Khz as 200Khz. Here is where the Calibration gain controls can help by letting the user add or subtract gain from one channel without affecting the other.

Snips

Back