Furuno 587- Deep Water TVG Setting

T

TeamRezoned

Good morning,

Our 33T Contender is set up with a Furuno 587 and a pair of SS175 (Low and High) transducers.

We will be doing some bottom fishing in deep water later this month and I want to make sure that we are maximizing the capabilities of the fishfinder while we are offshore.

Based on my research, the TVG for the 587 may be a little different than the 295 (which I have more experience with).

My question is this: when looking for small structure and fish in 500-900' of water, what is the best TVG setting for our setup? I am not at all concerned with seeing anything other than the bottom 50 foot of the water column, so I want to make sure that the signal is not being interfered with before reaching the bottom.

I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks,
Dan

TeamRezoned,
The FCV-585/587/588 were not designed to use Chirp transducers. I tried this test years ago just to see what would happen with a B-265. The B-265 has the same LF make up of the 175L. It was during this test we found that the LF elements work best at 42Khz, not 50Khz. There is also an impedance mis-match when connected directly and when using the MB-1100 matching box. The below picture is a LF comparsion showing the 526 against the 265/175. During this test I was using a Medium TVG.

Snips

Attachments

• Airmar 265 test.jpg
    Airmar 265 test.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 2,803
Thanks Snips,

Is there a way to set the LF on the machine to push 42 instead of 50?

Snips,

Thanks for the response. I apologize, but I misspoke earlier. We actually installed the SS264 pair (high and low) not the SS175.

Sorry for the confusion.... We have been very pleased with the way that the SS264/587 combo has performed in <500', but when we are fishing deeper than 500' it seem that we are getting a lot of clutter and having clarity issues.

Could you please provide your thoughts on what settings we should toy with to help improve the results?

Thanks,
Dan

TeamRezoned,
Glad to hear that you have the 264's instead of the 175's.
My first question would be since these are tilted elements transducers how close they are to being pointed straight down? Very few hulls have exactly 12 or 20 degree dead rise, in shallower waters this isn't a big deal but in deeper waters it can be. The TVG control on the 587 is different than the 295. On the 295 you could control the sounders gain in different parts of the water, on the 587 it control the entire water column. If you are trying to get a good view of the bottom without looking at the whole water may I suggest using the Marker Zoom or Bottom Zoom modes.

Snips

Snips

I have a 587 with a TM 260 1kW, and am having issues with clutter when sounding in deep water. While I am drifting I can read bottom and in some case identify fish in 300m. As soo as I kick the boat in gear I get some much clutter on the screen it is pretty much unreadable. This only happens when out deep, and never at any other times in high or low frequency. Could you please advise me of any settings I can adjust or should use to stop this issue and help me identify fish while I am sounding around in deep water.

Thanks

Back