FCV 1100L

I have a FCV 1100l, and use it for deep drop bottom fishing, typically up to 180 fathoms. I have a 50/200 in-hull tank mounted 1kw transducer. There's a lot of other people fishing the same areas as I do, with mostly 50K transducers, and I get "blinded" from their signals. I have tried shifting the freq, on the low side, but to limited success. Is there a transducer that has a narrow beam, off from 50 khz, that can be used with the 1100, 2 or 3 kw? Or any suggestions on what to do so I don't get "blinded" by everyone else's fish finders.

808double.e,
Thank you for your question. As you found, adjusting the frequency under the NL (Noise Limiter) menu has a limited affected. 99% of the time you should leave this frequency control set at zero. But this menu also has a noise filter that is actually very good in taking out the type of interference that you are describing. The settings here are OFF, N1, N2 & N3. N1 is lower and N3 is higher. Next time try adjusting these.

Snips

Attachments

• NL.JPG
    NL.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 4,116
Snips,
Thanks for the reply. I'll try that next time I'm out.

Another question, how would a CA88B-10 transducer be for the type of fishing I'm doing? It''s a 2 kw, 88 khz, 8 degree transducer. According to the specs, it seems to be just what I need, narrow beam, with enough RMS power, and off of 50 khz so I don't get "blinded" by other 50 khz machines. The 1100l manual lists 88 khz as one of it's TX frequencys. What's your take on this set-up?

Thanks

You could try it, however I don't know anybody that is using 88Khz for deep dropping. If you are thinking about it, how are you going to mount it?

Snips

Snips,
Was thinking either making a fiberglass pocket mount or transom bracket.

Is 88 khz not a good freq for deep drop fishing? What transducer/freq would you recommend for my purpose? I also saw a CA82B-35R transducer that might be better. Almost everyone I know uses 50 khz.

Thanks.

50Khz would be my first choice. You could try the CA82B-35R around 65Khz to see how the fish detection is.

Snips

Snips

Do you have any screen shots of a school of fish at different freq's? Like at 50, 55, 67, 68, 82 or 88 khz? I'm wondering why the 50khz freq is so good.

It's hard for me to read fish, with 9 other boats all pinging a small area, all with 50khz with outputs anywhere fron 600 to 3kw. Granted, all the other guys are seeing the same interference. Just looking for a solution to this problem. I have switched to the high freq, but I can only read bottom and not fish schools.

Thanks

Probably the biggest reason most people use 50Khz is that the smaller sounders tend to be 50/200Khz. As you go up in cost you also go up in the sounders capabilities i.e, power and frequencies. This opens the door for using a wider variety of transducers. As to your question about testing a ducer from 50-88Khz, no I haven't. We don't have one that covers that frequency band and I don't think that Airmar has one. From past experience I have found that most transducers have a sweet spot that they like to resonate at. The newer Broadband ducers have a wider sweet spot. The trick is to find one that is in the correct frequency range for the depth and fish you are going after. The nice thing is that you have a 1100L which is capable of transmitting from 25-200Khz.

Snips

Attachments

• Freq..JPG
    Freq..JPG
    186.5 KB · Views: 4,073
  • Test.JPG
    Test.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 4,073
Snips,
Thanks for the screen shots. Very helpful in seeing the differences at different freq's.

What would your recomendation be for a transducer that can be run at 2 to 3 KW, deep drop bottom fishing for snapper to about 150-180 fathoms, with a lot of other boats around?

Thanks forall the help.

That's why Furuno is #1, unbeatable customer service.

So have you tired using the NL filters on the 1100 to suppress the interference?

Snips

Snips,

Have tried the NL1, NL2, NL3, with the freq set at 50khz. The interference from others in the area has gotten better, but I still get interference. Using NL3 setting. will it eliminate small fish echos? I can't tell because if I turn the NL off, I can't see any fish with others in the area.

Thanks.

Back