FCV 1100L Tranducer Help

A

Anonymous

Hello, a friend of mine gave me a 1100L that I plan on using in my boat, I'm a student and my budget is tight so while I know that this is not the newest piece of equipment, its a upgrade from what I have now (b744V and old raytheon L760). I could use some help picking out a transducer to use with the sounder. I'm on the SF Bay and fish water from 5ft for halibut, sturgeon, and striped bass, looking both to mark fish around contours or ledges and bait schools; reefs from 30-150ft looking to mark schools of rockfish in mid water or on top of the reef; Ocean trolling and mooching for salmon in 50-400ft looking for broken up balls or stacks of bait that salmon are feeding on, and finally deep water albacore fishing, trolling looking to mark fish (if the albacore ever decided to stop here again on their way north). Quite a list.

I've been looking around at some different models but the B275W seems to jump out because of it's wide angle, it seems like it would be useful in the shallow waters where i spend most of my time, and it would be forward compatible if I get a chance to upgrade the sounder, and I can play with the frequencies to find what works best for what I'm doing. I know the wide cone will help to mark sturgeon and bass schools in waters less than 30ft., and shouldn't that also help when trying to find schools of rockfish, but is the wide angle cone going to give the kind of separation I want when looking for school of rockfish just off the reef and rocks in less than 150ft? Should I go with the old tried and true 260 and it's narrow cone for separation, but end up with a extremely narrow cone in shallow water? A friend is trying to give me a M260, but I'd rather sell it and get a thru-hull, I can't get over the idea of shooting through the hull...

I'm kinda new to all the model #s and specs so any help would be appreciated, thanks.

ElCoyote,
Depth (or vertical) separation is more a function of the sounders pulse length than the transducers beam width. The shorter the Pulse Length the better depth resolution you will have. Below is a screen shot of Black Sea Bass using a B-275LH transducer.

Snips

Attachments

• DSCF23281.JPG
    DSCF23281.JPG
    450.5 KB · Views: 1,517
Ah, I see... Thanks. So it looks like the B27LH-W is the way to go for me since I'm mostly in shallow waters. I know the areas I fish pretty well and am not really looking for bottom discrimination, more for spotting schools of fish around the structure, so the negative of the wide angle bottom averaging shouldn't be a factor. The added bonus is that it is forward compatible when I can upgrade the sounder, so here's another vote for a standalone chirp sounder from Furuno! Just not too soon, I've got to save up first.

Would you have any recommended TAP Settings, or other sounder settings for this transducer on the 1100L?

Thanks for your help.

ElCoyote,
When using any model of the 275 with a FCV-1100 the Tap settings are A and A.

Snips

Back