Deep sea sounder performance

A

Anonymous

Hello,

Present heaving the FCV295 paired with SS270W. Recently starting to fish in 300-500 meters range and the transducer performance is not satisfactory, of course. Think to achieve a LF transducer and keep the existing one for HF only. But the mounting options are limited, so the only viable option seems to be in hull mounting, into a wet box (also not much space around). To compensate the signal loos through fiberglass will install a 2kW unit. My first question: is it possible to set up the FCV295 to work with SS270W on HF (200kHz) with 1kW power, and with the 2nd transducer on LF with 2kW power? And the second one is which transducer you recommend (mainly frequency and cone angle) for best result in salt water till 500 meters depth? Targeting mainly cod.

Thanks!

Chrysmon,
You can configure the channels on the FCV-295 for a 1/3Kw arrangement. While an in-hull transducer installation may look like an attractive option I have never seen one that has yielded satisfactory results. Sorry but I do not have a recommendation for an in-hull transducer for your type of fishing.

Snips

Snips":2qm4pvl8 said:
Chrysmon,
You can configure the channels on the FCV-295 for a 1/3Kw arrangement. While an in-hull transducer installation may look like an attractive option I have never seen one that has yielded satisfactory results. Sorry but I do not have a recommendation for an in-hull transducer for your type of fishing.

Snips

Thank you, Snips. So you give me 2 options: 1. to replace the existing transducer, and 2. to mount a thru hull flush mounted one, in front of the existing one (in order to avoid turbulence, etc. for both of them). Can you suggest any models for my application?

Anyway, if I decide to install an in-hull transducer for LF, 2kW, ignoring the economical point of view, will obtain any improvements compared with the actual situation? If yes, which frequency you consider to be the most efficient?

Thanks for your understanding...

Chrysmon,
Hopefully Adrenalinetuna will replay to your email. Personally I would choose a 1kw wet face transducer installation over a 2Kw wet box. For bottom fish at 1500ft I would look at the R-209.

Snips

Snips":7tjywna0 said:
Chrysmon,
Hopefully Adrenalinetuna will replay to your email. Personally I would choose a 1kw wet face transducer installation over a 2Kw wet box. For bottom fish at 1500ft I would look at the R-209.

Snips

Hello Snips,

No feedback about transducers. Because of the limited space and the thick of the hull (1 cm) I'm ending to choose between these 2 transducers: CA50BL-12HR and CA28F-18, both of 2kW. Which one do you think is better, counting the frequency and the beam cone width?

Many thanks,
chrysmon

Chrysmon,
The CA28F-18 is an older less efficient than the CA28BL-6HR. Personally I don't think either 2Kw 50 or 28Khz transducer in a wet box will give you the performance you are looking for. But if you still want to use a wet box, my best "guess" would be the CA28BL-12HR, which is a 3kw ducer. I know it sounds crazy but have you ever considered mounting this big transducer off the transom? I really don't like this type of mounting either because of the turbulence, but at least the face of the ducer is in the water and has a better chance of working. One think you could do is to buy the transducer and try it two different ways. First just hang it over the side and then put it a bag of water where you were planning on putting the wet box. This would give you a good idea of how much signal loss you are going to incur trying to shot though the hull.

Snips

Hi Snips,

Please confirm that the Airmar B275LH-W is compatible with Furuno FCV295. Where can I find the FCV295 hardware and software configuration for this transducer?

chrysmon

Chrysmon,
The B-275LHW can be used with the FCV-295. Use an "A" tap setting for both LF and HF frequencies. You will need the manually enter the frequencies you want to use. Also set the Band width setting the highest you can, which will be 50% of whatever frequency you choose.

Snips

Hi Snips,

Thanks again. I recently discovered the Chirp wide series and I think the R109LH-W is ideal for us (wide beam at high frequencies and narrow beam at low frequencies). It should be compatible with FCV295 the same way the other transducers in the series are, isn't it? But my concern is about mounting. You have some pictures of the boat. I'm thinking to mount it in front of the existing transducer. It is very aft but for sure under the water all the time. What do you think? That position will assure good performance? Any other suggestion?

Regards,
chrysmon

Chrysmon,
Because you have very little space I think I would replace your existing transducer rather than add. I would also make sure that the face of the transducer is below the keel.

Snips

Snips,

Agree, the only problem is the existing base. I think this will not allow the fairing block to be placed such a way to pass the cable thru the existing hole. So I'm searching for a place where the hull is not modified and will be able to install the fairing block.

chrysmon

Snips":2wyflxg0 said:
Chrysmon,
Because you have very little space I think I would replace your existing transducer rather than add. I would also make sure that the face of the transducer is below the keel.

Snips

Hello Snips,

After an almost no fishing period I'm looking again for new transducer(s). Hope you still have photos from the existing throu hull 1kW transducer without fairing block. What about the option to cut out the horizontal base and install 1 or 2 flush mounted Furuno transducer(s)? Their water contact surface will be just above the actual base level outside the hull, however higher than the keel. So actually will no need any box outside the hull. Do you think will work, or will have again turbulence (on high speed at least)? I saw pictures of flush mounted transducers above the keel level, are they only for non speed boats?

Regards,
chrysmon

Chrysmon,
Can you resend a picture or two to refresh my memory of your current transducer mounting configuration?

Snips

Snips":dhkdp76k said:
Chrysmon,
Can you resend a picture or two to refresh my memory of your current transducer mounting configuration?

Snips

Finally I'm thinking of two options: B260 or B265LH in place of the existing SS270W. Remember the sounder is FCV 295. Will not mount the fairing block but will lower the transducer further to avoid turbulence at high speed. Which of 2 Bxxx do you recommend, mainly for best bottom readings till 500 meters depth? Does the CHIRP unit worth in this case?

Many thanks,
chrysmon

Chrysmon,
Of those two, I would lean towards the 265 because of it's frequency range. However I feel you still have a turbulence issue if you don't use fairing.

Snips

Snips":1cndhoxd said:
Chrysmon,
Of those two, I would lean towards the 265 because of it's frequency range. However I feel you still have a turbulence issue if you don't use fairing.

Snips

Is there a smaller (no high performance) fairing for these transducers? Or maybe to build one myself, a 1-2 cm around the ducer? Will this kind of fairing help?

Chrysmon,
There are no other fairings that I know of for the B-265. Have you looked at the mounting requirements for the PM or CM-265?

Snips

Snips,

If I have 2 ducers of 1 kW is it possible to have a switch (or 2 switches, one for each frequency) and choose the active transducer? In order to switch betewwn them the sounder must be turned off? Can I use part of ducer's cable for the segment between the sonar and the swtich? And the switch may be a simple one or something special?

Yes you can adds switches but I am curious why you would want to.

Snips

Snips,

I found a place into the boat where can fit a R199 or R299 ducer. But this is not somewhere in the middle of the hull, but on the side. There is a horizontal part of the hull, on sides from the stern to the bow till bown of the cabin. This part is always under water. Can I install the ducer there? And is not exact parallel with the keel but 5-10 degrees towards inside. Please tell me what you think about this.

Many thanks again,
chrysmon

Back