1971f + P66 for bottom fishing at 700+ ft?

AlwaysFishing

I am planning on purchasing the 1971f unit and the P66 transducer because I want the bottom discrimination function for times that I fish less than 300 ft. I would like to start fishing in the 700+ ft area for rockfish and other groundfish in my local SoCal areas. Would the P66 transducer be good enough for depths of 700+ ft? Which other TM transducers have the Bottom Discrimination function that doesn't break the bank?
If I have to go to the 1kw transducer, which TM185 variety is better for depths of 700+ ft, TM185M or TM185HW? I know I will not have bottom discrimination (major bummer) with these transducers.

TIA.

While Airmar's calculator for the P66 shows the HF will go down to 700ft max; that is best case. I would expect the HF will not reach but the LF (what most call the fisherman's freq) will. Bottom discrimination and accu-fish will stop working about 325ft because of the required beam overlap and necessary angles. Below are the beam angles and max depth for the P66 from the Airmar website.
1700144372848.png

Back