GP1971F Transducer Selection

dawgman

I am current Lowrance user considering changing to Furuno GP1971F. I primarily fish for salmon and halibut in salt water in Puget Sound, off the coasts of Washington and Vancouver Island. Depth of water is up to 900', but I primarily fish water columns down to 200' for salmon in water that is 60' to 900' deep and occasionally fish bottom for halibut at depths up to 350'.
1. Is the GP 1971F a good choice for my needs?
2. What transducer do you recommend as best choice for my application? I was considering
the TM185HW or the TM 185M. Are there other transducers that would better meet my
needs?
Thanks
Dawgman

The GP1971F is a nice plotter/fish finder combo! I've be partial to these "smaller" units since I first received my GP7000 years back.

Per Airmar:
The TM185HW should perform well up to 500'
The TM185M should perform well up to 1000'

A low CHIRP would give better depth at a reduction of performance when salmon fishing. If you are set on CHIRP, the TM185M should give a nice balance of performance. If you wanted dual frequency, I have always been pleased with the performance of the 525TID-TMD (TM258) despite it not being CHIRP.

I have the 526T-HDD 1kw 50/200 I fish for anything from flounder and seabass inshore to tuna offshore. I am happy with it.

Back