GP 1971F, Navionics and personal bathymetry charts

Ivob

Hello,

I'm planing on buying my first boat (old BW17) which I would like to equip with GP 1971F.
I intend to use it mostly for bottom fishing up to 600feet with majority bellow 300. Finding
new bottom spots is a priority. Preferably at planing speed. Rocks/gravel oasis between sand.
Also some light trolling and spearfishing. For the later it's important to find ledges between
30 to 60 feet for catching those predators, thus bathymetry is important.

Firstly, can someone explain to me if I will be able to generate personal bathymetry charts
with this unit without sharing this data with Navionics? From what I understand I need to
buy at least Navionics+ subscription to get this feature.

Secondly, what happens after subscription plan ends. Does one lose the ability to
display self generated bathymetry data, previously generated?

And lastly, any transducer suggestions? Thinking of starting with P66 to get the feeling and
Upgrade if needed.

Thank you,
Ivo

You would need to ask Navionics about their requirements for what I think is what they call sonic charts and discuss their subscription requirements etc. Furuno doesn't sell Navionics charts. The unit uses their API for which they are fully in control of the charting of the unit when that mapping has been selected. Other users here using Navionics in their GP1971F might offer you some insight, if not; I would suggest talking directly with their support.

I love the P66 as it offers really good bang for the money and can give BD and Accu-fish results. It would cover the depths you are needing and as you said, it can always be changed out for something more later.

Hi Ivo, you don't need to have an active subscription to make and see your own bathymetry with Navionics+. There is a choice to share or not share your sonar logs with Navionics when you log in with their Chart Installer app. At any time you can opt in or out. Go with the P66.

Hi nik33134,
Are you sure? Navionics site states that "advanced features" such as "SonarChart Live Mapping Feature –" stop working after subscription ends. Making new bathymetry maps would thus stop working.

Back