Best fishfinder/transducer for deciphering bottom in 2000'-4000'

I'm going to be targeting commercial groundfish off the West Coast on the continental slope in 2000 - 4000' depths. The primary fish I'll be targeting doesn't have a swim bladder, so won't meter. I'm looking for a high degree of bottom detail as I'll be targeting canyons, edges, etc. A lot of the bottom will be soft (sand & Mud), but it would be very advantageous if I could pick out small areas of rock structure, think like 12" diameter or smaller cobbles or very low relief ledges/shelves.

The boat is capable of 20 knots, so the faster I can go while still getting detail would be best.

I was thinking the FCV 295 with the R399 transducer? Am I on the right track here?

I'd also be using the same boat for fishing shallow water rockfish 30'-300' depth, and am thinking a second separate transducer hooked up to the FCV 295 for that? Any recommendations? More of these fish will be meter-able, but bottom definition still the priority. Thinking like a 1kw of some type? I don't want to scare the fish off blasting them with the 399...

Thanks

paradisecoveseafood,

What is the construction of the vessel..? Steel, Fiberglass, Aluminum, Etc.

For the depths that you intend to fish, I prefer to use "wet-faced" transducers like R109LH (Low Frequency of 38-75khz, High Frequency of 130-210kHz), with a maximum depth of 6000ft or the R509LH (Low Frequency of 28-60kHz, High Frequency of 130-210khz) that has a maximum depth of 10,000ft, than using that R399

For a 1kW Transducer, I suggest using the CA50/200-1T or the CA50/200-12M.

- Deep Blue

Thanks Deep Blue. It's a solid fiberglass hull, about 1/2" an inch thick where the transducer would be. I'd really like to avoid putting another hole in the boat if I could...

I would make a hole where ever you need it. You won't regret it with the performance of the wet faced ducer. It will mark fish much better.

paradisecoveseafood,

For the water depth that you plan to fish, I would choose the R109LH (after tap setting your FCV295 TX Power for 2 kW for use with the Low Frequency and 2kW set for use with the High Frequency).

Then set the FCV295 to use 35 kHz for the Low Frequency, and 140 kHz for the High Frequency. Both these frequencies are in the optimum “sweet-spot” frequencies for the R109LH and will provide you with the depth and resolution that you are looking for.

- Deep Blue.

Last edited:
I'm seeing that down in Australia, a lot of guys are going with the CA38BL-15HR for deep water work? Sounds like a physically smaller transducer too? I'm trying to fit this thing in a 22' boat...

paradisecoveseafood,

Yes, you could use the CA38BL-15HR as it's an excellent transducer for use with the FCV295. Typically this transducer is tank mounted on commercial fishing vessels, so you need to figure out a way to mount this your 22' boat. :unsure:

PM sent...

- Deep Blue

Back