Transducer configurations - TZT3 and DFF3D

I have a new installation of twin TZT16F's, a DFF3D, and the 165T-50/200-TM260, plus a CHIRP B175HW-20. Boat is a 35' Intrepid.

I'm not certain we've configured things properly. I'm somewhat pleased with the performance of the 50/200 element after some playing around with options. But the same cannot be said for the tri-ducer nor the CHIRP sensor.

See the pic, below. The right half of the port screen is showing the 50/200. It sees a fair number of marks, plus my downrigger spread. Pretty good. I've set the 50/200 Transducer Configuration to Manual, 1kw 50 and 1kw 200. Should I pick another transducer model in Setup for better results?

The starboard screen in the upper left is the CHIRP B175HW-20 sensor, which is a thru-hull just ahead of the hull step. Like this picture shows, it often misses fish that the 50/200 is seeing. It also loses depth reading above just 21mph. I have the configuration set to B175HW. Is there a setting that would help me see depth when I'm at planing speeds? I have friends with through-hulls in the same spot, but have no problem holding bottom readings at speed.

The tri-ducer is the most disappointing. I rarely mark fish, but by turning the gain all the way to 75-80, do mark a few. Interesting, though, is the marks show in roughly the same position, even though there should be port, center, and starboard views from the tri-ducer. The live view shows the occasional flash, but nothing actionable.

Obviously I have a lot to learn about various options and gain settings, but think I should start with solid info on configuration - given the hardware, am I using the correct Transducer Model Configuration settings?

Furuno Screen Capture.jpg

Very nice setup. Thanks for the information. You have the 50/200 setup correctly and it looks good so I wouldn't change anything there.
The DFF3D triple beam show a little interference but not too bad. The 3d history shows some targets in the water between the boat and bottom. The bottom doesn't seem to be over driven so just with what you have shown it looks pretty good. The High Wide CHIRP Shown at the top starboard left shows some interference but seems to be working well. Each tool is different. The 3D multi-beam is very wide but has a very narrow fore and aft beam (7 degrees). Each transducer are not only on different freqs but beam angles are different. The CHIRP widebeam will shine in shallow waters and provide large coverage. Due to the coverage and CHIRP the targets will be compressed compared to a 50/200 CW type signal you have at the Port unit. It is a bit a dream system for waters 1000 feet and under. Waters deeper would normally require lower freq, while granted your 50 on the B164 at the port machine will go deeper the others really won't go much more. I would recommend that you play a little with your interference rejection to see if you can clean up the crosstalk noise a bit. Overall it looks pretty darn sweet. It needs more time to get use to the tools but I don't see any obvious problems going on. Really I am a bit jealous. @Deep Blue , do you see any concerns with what is shown so far?

Thanks - it sounds like my initial config is good. I thought about trying Model, B164 instead of Manual for the 50/200.

As far as interference, my installer is planning to install the Key Pulse kit to help. Ordered, just not yet arrived.

I didn't realize the tri-ducer beams were so narrow front-to-back. That explains a couple of observations.

By "each transducer are not only on different frequencies" I assume you mean the following:
- Each of the three tri-ducer elements are 165 kHz, beam width/angle side-to-side is adjustable, 7 degrees fore-aft
- The 50/200 element has a beam cone angle of 20 and 6 degrees, respectively
- The CHIRP element's transmit range is 150-250kHz with a 25-degree beam cone

The cross-section display was helped tremendously by changing PVG from 6 to 0. That led to some false marks on the history - need more time playing with the units, I guess.

The other issue I'm trying to address is the suppression of echoes. In the image, below, I think the valid marks are roughly 100 feet down, but I'm not certain. I'll have to play with the Color Erase setting, which I haven't yet done. On my older 2005 NavNet sounder, I typically got rid of echoes with Gain/Clutter changes, but never got rid of them completely.

Fish Echoes.jpg

Last edited:
Interference rejection will filter targets a bit so the KP will help when running them all at the same time. The disadvantage to KP is a slightly slower transmission rate as they coordinate with each other. It looks like you are well on your way to getting it tweaked out. Really cool.

how are you getting the display to show the actual frequency? i have a B175HW connected to a 16TZT3 and no matter what i set the chirp range or lock it at a single frequency the display only shows 200Hz.

My B175HW always shows up as 170kHz. In my picture, the B175HW is on the right MFD, upper-left quadrant.

The tri-ducer shows up as 165kHz, as does the Cross Section. The 50/200 element shows up as either 50 kHz or 200 kHz, depending on selection.

So, everything is as expected, except the CHIRP stays at 170 kHz. I'd rather it just said "CHIRP". Even in Setup, I'd prefer that I'd be able to name the transducer instead of the system auto-naming it to the MFD to which it's connected.

[EDIT] OOPS, I'd better go back and double-check next time I'm on the boat. It looks like the display of my 50/200 always shows "200", even if I've selected LF. I'll have to double-check that.

Back