TZT2 Wifi marine weather

Ocean drifter

I understand that TZT2 has the ability to display marine weather and seas surface temp, plankton and altimetry. My understanding this is through a wifi connection. Can you provide some information on where the dat comes from and how often it is updated? Is there a way to view this data from an internet browser, if I am not on the boat? Can the data be stored in the unit for any length of time?

Can you comment on the quality of the data as compared to Sirius or other internet providers?

Thanks

Hello Ocean Drifter,

The weather forecast comes from Maxsea servers. I believe the Maxsea source is France Meteo NOAA’s worldwide weather partner.
http://www.meteo.fr/meteonet_en/index.htm

Here is the weather blurb from Maxsea:

"Free weather forecast service
Receive free marine weather forecast with TIMEZERO!
TIMEZERO enables to download and display weather forecast and oceanic data in standard grib format directly from TIMEZERO Weather Wizard.
This weather tool is completely free and easy to use, giving you unlimited access to weather forecasts worldwide 24hours a day. Select a geographic coverage, data type, period of time and choose how to receive the file. TIMEZERO can provide up to 16 days of weather forecast!"

In regard to how often the weather is updated, I believe it is every 4 hours.

If you buy Maxsea software you can download and view the weather on your laptop. The minimum is Maxsea Navigator.

The weather file stays in the unit until you "Get the latest weather" (update the weather file).

Maxsea weather is worldwide, to get Sirius you must be in the Sirius satellite footprint. As for comparing the two you would need to ask around.

Just started using this feature. It appears that after loading a weather file you can tap the screen and get a few points of data for that particular location (waves, temp, etc.). Not real time storms or anything really useful like that. And as you need a network connection, at best you need to be in cell range to use a cellular hotspot to update the data...... but if you are in cellular range, might as well just use an app to display realtime radar info on your phone.

Back