Furuno & Sirius Weather

trawler guy

Hello,
I brought this issue/topic up 2 years ago, and honestly..I am still disappointed and feel it's worth revisiting.
I purchased my yacht new 12 years ago, and during the commissioning I was asked what electronics I wanted. My answer "The best" so I went with Furuno NavNet3D and had it for 8 years. Loved it. Two years ago I upgraded to BB2/TZTouch2 and still love it, but in all honestly I question some of the changes that in my opinion are a "downgrade" not an "upgrade"

Since day one, I had Serius weather on my system. With the original NavNet3D, the Sirius weather could be overlaid on the chart I was using for navigation. The nice thing about that set-up is/was that if bad weather was approaching or a squall, I could immediately see what was coming on my navigation chart.

Now, with the BB2/TZ Touch2 set up/format whatever.. every time I want to check the weather, I have to leave my navigation chart and go select the weather chart....I honestly don't understand the reasoning behind this change by Furuno. It makes no sense to me as a "safety" feature. The sad part is, that basically I rely on a free app on my phone to alert me when bad weather or a squall is coming...

On top of this, when I do select the "weather" display on the chart plotter option, my boat direction is North Up. I like to cruise on "Head up", and there is no way to change this.

One answer I got when I posted this issue 2 years ago was "With all the data you can get using a BBWX3 or BBWX4 on a TZT2 compared to a NN3D, it can really clutter the screen. That is one of the reasons why they decided to dedicate a page to weather"

What prompted me to re-post this is that recently I was at a rendezvous with over 50 vessels, and as we sat around and chatted about our vessels, issues, electronics, I mentioned my disappointment with my Furuno and Sirius weather. Some others had Furuno and agreed with me. But what really irked me is that some folks had Garmin and they told me and showed me how not only on their system the weather is displayed in there chart plotter (how it used to with Furuno), but as they are cruising, they get weather alerts popping up on their monitor/chart plotter immediately. How can Furuno, such an amazing company, with amazing product not see the value in this feature for their customers?
Anyway, my 2¢ and sorry for venting...but for someone who lives full time on their vessel, and travels from Rhode Island, to Florida, Bahamas every year, this to me is an important topic and feature that in my opinion, Furuno should improve upon.

Thank you for listening.
Roberto

Thank you for your post. I had this moved to New Product Suggestions as we appreciate feedback like this and take it all into consideration.

Many great improvements have been made to the TZT3 OS but the sirius weather functionality is in need of some attention:

1) The resolution of the precipitation needs improvement. It's very pixelated and "blocky" and as a result harder to understand.

2) The most important aspect of the weather (for me at least) is watching the movement and changes in the precipitation/storms. Right now when you watch the radar history you are also forced to watch the future forecast. Please change it so that you can view the past history of the radar without also having to view the future forecast. It is much easier to understand the radar trend without the interruption of the lengthy future forecast.

3) I also have a slight glitch: the past radar images dont display until I touch the screen on the TZTF12 although it isnt a big deal once I figured this out.

Thank you

Back