Scx 20 and dff3d setup

Cabo92

Furuno Fan
Just had a dff3d, dff3d transducer, hub 101, and scx20 satellite compass installed. What do I need to do to get the satellite compass setup in conjunction with the dff3d system ?

Just had a dff3d, dff3d transducer, hub 101, and scx20 satellite compass installed. What do I need to do to get the satellite compass setup in conjunction with the dff3d system ?
Greetings Cabo92, in addition to a NMEA2000 bus and a MFD/PC with TZ (that supports the DFF3D) we have some excellent setup documentation you can get started on:

A. The DFF3D Offset Examples guide: Excellent resource for dialing in GPS and Motion sensor information
B. P.3-6 of the DFF3D Operator's manual: Take your time with this section to understand it and make an action plan or list before going on the vessel to dial all this in.

*Note: I've learned that it's important to know the angle the face of your transducer is facing relative to the ground. Ideally you want an angle of 0, however if it's tilted one way or another - it's important to physically offset your GPS receiver. When it's all dialed in and you do some PBG recording with TZ or the MFD and notice something odd let us know.

C. P. 2-3 of the SCX20 Ops Manual: This covers what you need to dial into the Satellite Compass for better accuracy.

- Maggy

Greetings Cabo92, in addition to a NMEA2000 bus and a MFD/PC with TZ (that supports the DFF3D) we have some excellent setup documentation you can get started on:

A. The DFF3D Offset Examples guide: Excellent resource for dialing in GPS and Motion sensor information
B. P.3-6 of the DFF3D Operator's manual: Take your time with this section to understand it and make an action plan or list before going on the vessel to dial all this in.

*Note: I've learned that it's important to know the angle the face of your transducer is facing relative to the ground. Ideally you want an angle of 0, however if it's tilted one way or another - it's important to physically offset your GPS receiver. When it's all dialed in and you do some PBG recording with TZ or the MFD and notice something odd let us know.

C. P. 2-3 of the SCX20 Ops Manual: This covers what you need to dial into the Satellite Compass for better accuracy.

- Maggy
This is somewhat confusing (to me at least). The static position of the transducer relative to the SCX-20 is of course constant. In my case, the transducer is about 1 meter aft of the SCX-20 and 8 meters below it and the transducer face angle is zero . But out on the ocean going over waves, the pitching of the boat can easily introduce 5 or more degrees change from vertical, in which case the SCX-20 will be a good amount farther forward or aft than its static position relative to the transducer. So what do you intend when you say "physically offset your GPS receiver"?

"the transducer face angle is zero .
If the transducer face angle is 0 you do not need to take any action to physically offset the GPS receiver. If the transducer face was angled, then you would need to take action. So the only setting you need to modify is to make sure your GPS position "from bow" and "from port" are input into the NavNet using a tape measure then go out on a sea trial.

For your sea trial, using a TZTouch3 or TZ Pro - run one length (1/4 mile or so) of the Personal Bathymetry Generator (PBG) in one direction, then turn around and do a length going the opposite direction. Do the two stitch well together? or something else?

- Maggy

If the transducer face angle is 0 you do not need to take any action to physically offset the GPS receiver. If the transducer face was angled, then you would need to take action. So the only setting you need to modify is to make sure your GPS position "from bow" and "from port" are input into the NavNet using a tape measure then go out on a sea trial.

For your sea trial, using a TZTouch3 or TZ Pro - run one length (1/4 mile or so) of the Personal Bathymetry Generator (PBG) in one direction, then turn around and do a length going the opposite direction. Do the two stitch well together? or something else?

- Maggy
Will try this method next week. My xducer is 20" to stbd and the scx is centerline ~20' above the xducer 3' aft

- Maggy

A great way to test the transducer angle! Typically, depending on how the boat turns or lines up for the straight run, then runs back and forth slow and straight to test/adjust the PBG, the resultant recording will often look like phallic grafiti. The customers' inner teenager will be amused. If this would be unwelcome, record some extra PBG to disguise it.

Sometimes the transducer gets installed backwards too, and there is a checkbox to correct that.

750EE501-E4BA-4C03-BA2B-C238B6743179.jpeg
I updated to 3.50 last night and did factory reset the new software puts several more dff icons on Home Screen before all I saw was cross section and personal bathymetry

Back