Do i need the scx 20 for dff3D?

KC2400

Hi,

I'm thinking of adding the dff3d to my tzt312f. I have a pg700 sensor. Do i need to replace this with a SCX 20 or is the compensation in the tm54 adequate?

thanks

If the heading has been working well, I would keep it as is and give it a go. The Transducer has a pitch/roll sensor in it so I think the improvement wouldn't be that great unless you are seeking the other improvements as well. The SCX20 does improve the heading compensation for turns which results in better radar overlay and ARPA. You can always stage the upgrade for another year.

If you have the PG700 for autopilot or radar overlay it will make a big difference in accuracy and consistent function.
You don't need to do it, but it will bring multiple improvements.

Right choice. Find the threads with the link for how to input the initial position settings for the SCX-20. It is important to get it right to have the best heaving corrections for both the DFF-3D and your regular sounder (be sure to enable heaving correction in settings once you install the SCX-20).

Dumb question.... I have a surplus PG700 heading sensor and a friend has asked if it would work with a different brand of gps unit (he has a Hummingird Solix). I said I doubt it but offered to ask the experts. thanks

The PG700 provides standard certified NMEA 2000 heading data. If the other product supports NMEA 2000, it should work just fine.

Back