NMEA0183 DSC to NN3D

A

Anonymous

I just wired my VHF to my Data 3 port on my NN3D MFDBB. How do I setup the NN3D to accept my VHF DSC data? There aren't any options to select this when it ask for a the input sensor type in the wizard.

ElectrnxShockTherapy
Very good question... The answer is easy..."nothing".
There is no action required after making the connection. The MFD will automatically process the DSC/DSE NMEA information as long as the NMEA version and baud rate are correct. Unlike other input items that require you to "checkmark" the data you wish to accept; DSC doesn't require this action. Welcome to the Furuno Forum!
:capt

This might be a dumb question but what data is output from the VHF - DSC ?
I just take the NMEA0183 GPS output from my Navigator and put it into my VHF. Is there an advantage to connect the NN3D to my VHF ?
Richard

Sending GPS data to your VHF allows the VHF to transmit your positon when a disress button is pushed. It will also allow your GPS information to be transmitted when a DSC/DSE call is made to another radio.

If you are talking about the wiring the other direction (from the radio to the NavNet), it is for passing DSC/DSE NMEA 0183 info. It will place a point on you plotter at the location of the person you are speaking with, when DSC/DSE is conducted. There is a section on this normally in the radio manual along with the info provided in the NavNet 3D operator's manual.

Back