NavPilot / TZT3 integration

Bayhouse

Furuno Super Fan
Perhaps there is a way to do this easier, if so just let me know.

Most of my navigation is to a distant waypoint with no routing involved (thankfully). Pick the point on the TZT3, select Go-To and it asks me if I want to engage the AP (yes).

Along the way, i see a feature or some pots I want to explore and disengage the AP (Standby). The TZT3 is still plotting the course to the point so I can just hit Restart on the display and it re-plots the course - but it doesn't ask me if if I want to engage the AP. I have to hit the Nav button on the AP control head.

It would be a nice add to ask to engage the AP anytime I start (or restart) navigation to a point.

If you have a Safe Helm 2 sensor, it will resume NAV mode when you stop steering manually. Otherwise I am not aware of any work around to do what you want, though hitting restart and NAV isn't much more effort than acknowledging the "Engage AP" prompt.

Also check your autopilot settings to see what NAV mode is set. There are three choices: precision, economy, and course. If set to course, when you resume NAV mode it will recalculate the course from where you are without going back to the original course line.

Quitsa":se1cg4a7 said:
If you have a Safe Helm 2 sensor, it will resume NAV mode when you stop steering manually. Otherwise I am not aware of any work around to do what you want, though hitting restart and NAV isn't much more effort than acknowledging the "Engage AP" prompt.

Don't have the Safe Help 2 sensor yet and most of the time, the diversions are not about slight course changes, I want to stop and check out/fish an area.

Agree, that hitting NAV isn't much more effort, for me it's more about access. I opted to mount my AP control head out of reach of the helm because I expected more control directly from the TZT3.

Quitsa":se1cg4a7 said:
Also check your autopilot settings to see what NAV mode is set. There are three choices: precision, economy, and course. If set to course, when you resume NAV mode it will recalculate the course from where you are without going back to the original course line.

Setting is normally in economy and I change it to precision based on conditions. I'm struggling a little with Course and maybe it's how I use the systems. In my examples, I'll STBY the AP control head and do what I want in the area. The Navigation banner is still at the top of the TZT3 and I press Restart which I assume recalculates the course from where I am (at least it seems to) so I'm not sure how Course would be different.

You can set a Navpilot control panel in your NavData display box that allows you to hit STBY or NAV directly on the TZT3 screen.

I think you have more control with the autopilot NAV mode in precision or economy mode and using restart on the banner than with Course mode. Maybe given your explanation about the access to your AP control head, the answer is as simple as Johnny's suggestion to use an autopilot panel on your data bar, which gives you access to engage NAV mode from the TZT 3. The AP control head at my main helm is very close at hand and easier to reach than the TZT3 displays so that's what I use. But at my upper station, I use a TZT2 to control the AP because I don't have an AP control head up there and it works just fine for engaging. in AUTO or NAV..

Johnny Electron":3gjg24hg said:
You can set a Navpilot control panel in your NavData display box that allows you to hit STBY or NAV directly on the TZT3 screen.

THIS is what I want! Seem to recall seeing this in one of the videos, but how do you get this control panel? I thought it would be a swipe from the left and then choose one of the available boxes, but I don't recall seeing one for Navpilot?

Bayhouse":1vwueq8v said:
Johnny Electron":1vwueq8v said:

THIS is what I want! Seem to recall seeing this in one of the videos, but how do you get this control panel? I thought it would be a swipe from the left and then choose one of the available boxes, but I don't recall seeing one for Navpilot?

Going from memory on this one while sitting at work being bored:

With all systems turned on and a chart plotter displayed and selected if in a multiscreen environment at the bottom of the NavData screen will be 2 "tabs" one will say data, the other will say Nav. Select the Nav option, then long press the display to customize. It should be in the list of options at that point.

Ok, I know how to do that and have changed a few of the parameters but didn't look closely enough at the customize options to find the STBY / NAV buttons on the TZT3 screen.

Thanks!

Back