Accidental autopilot to standby

madmike

We have a TZT9F chartplotter and NavPilot 711C autopilot. Usually we have the autopilot in the "Set Course" Auto mode where it holds a desired compass heading. When we want to check progress towards a destination, a convenient way to check is picking a point on the TZT9F and selecting "Goto" from the pop-up menu. The chartplotter asks "Do you want to navigate to this point using the NavPilot?" I answer "No" so the autopilot maintains its set course. Now the chartplotter displays range, bearing, and ETA to the selected point. All that's great.

But when I tell the chartplotter to stop tracking the destination (by touching the "stop" hand to the right of the navigation info at the top of the screen), the autopilot will silently slip into Standby mode. Typically it takes a few minutes before we notice that we're now off course and need to reset the autopilot to Auto mode. Seems like the correct operation should be that if I selected "No, don't use the autopilot" for a particular Goto, then canceling the Goto also shouldn't change the autopilot setting.

Back