How to get NMEA 0183 Depth out of a RDP-149

SurlyNarwhal

Hi, I have a new to me RDP-149 with a DFF1 Networked Depthsounder.
There is also a 1934c Radar and a GPS antennae.
These are in a 1993 Bayliner 4588, where I am looking to get depth info to the flybridge, where I am using either a laptop or phone as a coastal chart plotter.

I would like to get depth out in NMEA 0183.
My ultimate goal is to get depth into both a macbook running OpenCPN and an Iphone running Navionics.

I have one open port on the RDP-149, port 3.

Is this possible? What parts or settings do I need?
Bonus points if I can get GPS out as well.

Thank you,
Jeff

Data 3 on a 10.4" (RDP149) is heading INPUT ONLY. You would need to find another data port to use and then turn the depth sentence ON to output.

Thank you Johnny, I appreciate the insight.

Another way to get me depth on the flybridge could be video out of the rdp149 to a VGA monitor on the flybridge. How hard is that cable to obtain? Everywhere that I can find it listed as "add to cart" or "in stock" does not actually have it.

If I can find it...it doesn't seem that hard to install and would dupe the rdp149 screen, which has the depth.
Thoughts?
Thanks,
Jeff

Followup, I spoke with the wonderful techs at Furuno, who were extremely generous with their time.
The cable is still available and I ordered from nearby Rodger's Marine in Portland. That should get me a second monitor up on the flybridge.

They also noted that NMEA out needs that 4 port...and there is something in that now...so no luck.
Thanks again for your help.
Jeff

Keep in mind data 4 is RS232 (PC level) NMEA not RS422 so you might need a level converter depending on what you are wiring to.

Back