Furuno GP330B GPS receiver connected to RDP-149 NavNet VX2: No satellite status and no GPS Fix

Thabo Myali

Hi,

I have connected a GP330B GPS receiver to data 1 of an RDP-149, and GPS position, date and time are displayed correctly but cannot get GPS Fix position data and shows no satellite status. I checked on port monitor and GGA sentence data is present, together with GLL, RMC, ZDA, VTG and DTM.
I did a little googling, I read somewhere that for a GP330B receiver, GSA and GSV sentences are necessary for satellite status. However, the RDP-149 does not have a GSA and GSV sentence option - could this be the reason that the satellites aren't shown? And what could be the reason for "No GPS Fix"?

On Nav setup: Position source is set to "ALL"
Output format: NMEA0183 Ver 2.0
WAAS Setup: Mode - ON, Search - Auto, Corrections data set - 02 (outside North America)

Your help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Are you using a single display or multiple? If you are using a single display set position source to BBGPS. If using multiple displays set it to ALL.

It's a single display. At first, I had selected position source as BB GPS (as there was previously a GP320 receiver) but then it showed no data at all, it even alarms "No position data" .
It only shows the data I mentioned when source selection is "GP" or "ALL".

It is important to setup data port one settings so you don't send NMEA data to the GPS. It gives you data, you don't give it data. If you send GPS sentences to the GPS it will create data loop problems. Turn off ALL NMEA 0183 output sentences on data one where it connects. I agree it should be setup for GP or ALL when using the GP330B. Once configured ensure that it has clear view of the sky and then you should get good data. Data 1 port monitor should allow you to see the data. If not clear the baud rate is most likely not correct.

I appears that it can also be different depending on the sensor in the GP330B as one of the techs found his Vx2 works as "BBWGPS" and not with GP.

There are differences between the NN1 and VX2 as described below:

NN1 - RDP139 (Check 2 things)

FURUNO GPS SENSOR:
SYSTEM CONFIG > SYSTEM SETUP > PORT SETUP > GPS/NMEA PORT >

GP310 or GP320
Set to FURUNO GPS SENSOR = Y
GP330B

Set to FURUNO GPS SENSOR = N

Then check

POSTION SOURCE:
SYSTEM CONFIG > NAV OPTION > NAV SOURCE SETTINGS >

GP310/320 needs to be set to BB GPS
GP330B
needs to be set to
ALL

---

VX2 - RDP149 (Check 1 thing)

POSTION SOURCE
:
SYSTEM CONFIG > NAV OPTION > NAV SOURCE SETTINGS >

GP310/320/330B if it has the primary antenna directly connected then it needs to be set to BB GPS
If it is connected through the network, it needs to be set to
ALL

It is important to setup data port one settings so you don't send NMEA data to the GPS. It gives you data, you don't give it data. If you send GPS sentences to the GPS it will create data loop problems. Turn off ALL NMEA 0183 output sentences on data one where it connects. I agree it should be setup for GP or ALL when using the GP330B. Once configured ensure that it has clear view of the sky and then you should get good data. Data 1 port monitor should allow you to see the data. If not clear the baud rate is most likely not correct
Screenshot_20240209_232841.jpgScreenshot_20240209_232841.jpg
On the baudrate issue, please confirm, the GP330B is NMEA0183 Ver 3.1? But this RDP-149 only has two options - Version 1.5 and Version 2.0 . Any advice on "increasing" its baudrate?
It is important to setup data port one settings so you don't send NMEA data to the GPS. It gives you data, you don't give it data. If you send GPS sentences to the GPS it will create data loop problems. Turn off ALL NMEA 0183 output sentences on data one where it connects. I agree it should be setup for GP or ALL when using the GP330B. Once configured ensure that it has clear view of the sky and then you should get good data. Data 1 port monitor should allow you to see the data. If not clear the baud rate is most likely not correct.

You would choose the highest possible NMEA level allowed in the Vx2 (v2.0). Noting that v2 started using check sums the same as offered in v3.1 NMEA. The difference is V3.1 offers more sentences which do not apply to GPS or the GP330B. My mistake on the baud rate as you can adjust that for some of the other data ports but port one of the 10.4" is fixed at 4800 baud so no worries there. It is automatically correct.

Back