FA-50 not using GPS info from GP-150

leftcoast22

Hi all,

I have a FA-50 AIS Transponder and I'm trying to get it to use external NMEA GPS data from my GP-150. The FA-50 manual specifically states that this should work.

No matter what I try, the FA-50 seems to ignore the GP-150 and use the FA-50 internal GPS.

Here's what I have done:

On the FA-50, I connected my computer via ethernet and setup the following:

Com Port: IEC61662
RX Speed: Tried manual at 4800 and auto. Neither worked.

I followed the Interconnection diagram 05-097-2002-1 in the FA-50 manual and connected FA-50 Yellow to GP-150 white and FA-50 Green to GP-150 Black.

On the GP-150, I went to Data1. 2 Output Setup and it shows the following:
Data Fmt: IEC
Talked ID: GP
Output Data:
APB: 04
GGA:01
GLL:01
RMB:01
RMC:01
VTG: 01
ZDA: 01
GNS:01
GBS:01
(all other sentences are 00)

After all of this, I went into the FA-50 Sensor Status and it shows "Internal GPS in Use" and "Internal SOG/COG in Use".

Am I doing something wrong? The reason I would like to use the GP-150 GPS data on the FA-50 is threefold:

1) Better GPS data on the GP-150
2) Redundancy
3) From the FA-50, I output to a "Yakker 2" nmea-to-wifi device which allows me to use OpenCPN on my laptop and receive AIS data. Right now, the FA-50 outputs pretty basic, poor quality GPS data with the AIVDO sentence, which causes my ship icon to move all over the charts. When I connect my laptop directly to the GP-150, I get much smoother and more precise location information, but that requires I use a serial cable, which I'm trying to avoid.

I am hoping I can get GP-150 GPS data into the FA-50 and then have the high quality GPS data pass through to my Yakker 2 nmea-to-wifi device.

Any tips on making this work?

Thanks!

-Scott

This is something we would have to test because my memory fails me. If I recall correctly, it will use the external GPS from units like the GP150 but you still have to have the provided GPS antenna connected and working for it own clocking/sync. If you don't have the FA50 coax antenna on, then I think it ends up being a problem. If you have both, then the GP150 should be able to be used as by the FA50. What I don't know if it will through put the GP150 data or only it's own antenna data. We will research this and get back with you.

The FA50 coax antenna is connected and has been working for internal GPS for a few years. I just now want to have the FA50 use the GP-150 gps nmea input data.

With the holidays, the lab techs haven't played with it yet. Looking in the service manual, the first step is to ensure you are using the external source.
FA50ExternalGPS.jpg

Your previous posting seems to say yours is still showing "Internal" which is the coax GPS.

The lab techs got motivated and tested the FA50 with the GP150 and had no problems getting the FA50 to go into external position mode.

FA50ExternalGPS3.jpg

Below is how we configured the GP150

FA50ExternalGPS4.jpg

Maybe you have too many sentences turned on from the GP150 and exceeded the bandwidth? Even with what we turned on we used 80%. We did verify the GPS provided to the VDO sentence (0183) Is that of the GP150 when the unit switches to external. The problem is the GPS still won't be updated as often as if you use data direct from the GPS. The FA50 really isn't designed to be a primary GPS source. It is an AIS unit. It would be better to get a NMEA combiner and put your GPS, AIS, heading and an other needed data into one stream for your wifi. In summary, the FA50 does switch to external and uses that data instead of the internal when properly configured.

Back