Heading data options for RDP139/VX2

MyronB

Furuno Fan
I am trying to get an overlay of the radar onto the Plotter and so need heading data.

I have and old Raytech Type 300 Course computer that sends nav data, (depth, Wind Speed, Boat Speed etc) to the Plotter via a Seatalk/NMEA Interface. It gets it's heading data from a raymarine Fluxgate compass. Is it possible to wire Port 3 to the Interface to listen for heading data sentences??

Alternatively I have an Airmar H2183 Heading sensor, it is possible to use this wired into Port 3,

Has anyone managed either of these 2 configs.

Either source of 0183 should work for you. You would wire it to White (+) and Black (-) NMEA input wires for Data 3 of the RDP139.

Hi

I have replaced the Autopilot and Fluxgate with a Raymarine EV1 Sensor Core, with the Furuno picking up Navdata into Port 2 from an Actisense NGW-1 NMEA2000 to NMEA0183 converter which is plugged into a NMEA2000 network. Do you think I would pick up the required heading data from the Sensor Core by connecting the 2 listeners on Port 3 to the output of the NGW-1.

You would have to check with Actisense to see if their converter will support two listeners, but 0183 heading is 0183 heading. It should work as long as the converter allows it.

Hi, yes the device supports multiple listeners, as it is already sending data to Port 2, will using the same connector block for both RX Port 2 and RX Port 3 be OK? Should they be separated via opto-isolation. Are Ports 2 and 3 isolated on the display?

Actisense warning:Note that many NMEA Listeners do not provide isolation on their inputs. Connecting these together can cause ground loops and thus damage to the Listener ports of these devices

I presume Baud rate is 4800?

Hi

Following on from last years post ref, heading sensors, I am intending to fit an ARPA 11 for target tracking with the heading data supplied by the Raymarine EV1 sensor. Can you forsee any issues with this?

ARPA on the Vx2 require AD10 data not NMEA and it must be at 25ms or faster. As long as the Raymarine can meet those requirements you should be okay.

Hi

I have the AD10 black & White wires connect to the Actisense, before I purchase the ARP11 board how do I check that the display unit is receiving the correct heading data. is this the heading data in the top right hand corner of the screen?

I think there is some confusion. AD10 is a special 4 wire heading and I don't believe Actisense provides that. The machine will take NMEA or AD10 data but AD is REQUIRED for ARPA. You can run the ARP test to test the arpa board and see if you have bearing data (once you have AD10 data wired).

Hi

Thanks for the response, I am indeed confused. Previous posts advise that Port 3 will accept NMEA sentences, so which NMEA sentences are used by Port 3, if Port 3 requires AD10 data for ARPA, particularly as Port 2 is receiving NMEA data already?

Am trying to source a NMEA-AD10 converters the meantime called an Aardvark3 from Sweden, are you aware of the product?

Regards
MyronB

Heading must be placed on the dedicated heading port (data 3 of a 10.4"). If you bring heading to any other port, you will have some negative effects. Heading can be NMEA or AD10 into data three (for the 10.4") for most uses EXCEPT ARPA. The ARPA board has an AD10 requirement at 25ms or faster. If you use NMEA, you will see heading and it will allow radar overlay but the ARPA board will not function. Yes I have heard of the animal boxes we have successfully used them.

Hi

Thanks for the clear response, understand the issue now. With regards to the data transmission rate from the heading sensor, Raymarine have provided the below response:

The data update rate for the EV-1 is 10Hz, which corresponds to an interval rate of 0.1 seconds. I would recommend double checking within Furuno, as an interval rate of 25 milliseconds (0.025 seconds) would require a 40Hz heading update rate. There aren't many offerings in the recreational market supporting 40Hz heading updates.

Based on that data is hte EV-1 rate compatible.

Many Thanks

MyronB

Being the EV-1 doesn't provide AD10 heading data at all; I don't see how it would work for you. AD10 is a requirement for the ARP11 ARPA board used in the RDP139.

Hi I was intending to use the Aardvark 3 to convert the EV1 NMEA data to AD10, as per my previous post, so the question was whether the EV-1 transmission rate was fast enough for the ARPA board.

What your saying is that it isn't the EV-1 feeding the Navnet. Can you set the Aardvark 3 to 25ms? If so, it most likely will work but maybe not as good as it could be, due to delay of conversion. I doubt the slower updates from the EV-1 will bug the Aardvark. The accuracy wont be as good because the sampling is a little slower but it should work. As long as you can get 25ms AD10 to the NavNet (from the Aardvark), you should be fine even if it is slightly delayed data.

Hi

The Aardvark guys are asking me which data sentences are used by the ARPA board, HDM or HDT? as they need to set up the AARDVARK 3 device

Hi not sure if you received my last request, as to whether the Arpa board needs an HD or HDT feed, as the Aardvark converter needs to be set to output one of these.

Thanks
Myronb

I have been out of pocket. If you ever have an urgent request, you should contact Furuno via official channels (technical support).

HDM or HDT is NMEA...NMEA not AD10. NMEA can NOT be used for the ARP11 ARPA board. The ARP11 board requires AD10 data (like four wire binary) at 25ms or faster. Maybe they are asking you about what NMEA data you are feeding the animal box? I can't speak for them but you can't use NMEA into the NavNet and have ARPA function.

Back