Heading Data for Port 3 RDP-149

Ericson38

Is there a way to use Garmin GPS sentences to drive NMEA input into Port 3 for Heading information ? I don't have a heading sensor, but understand that the data has to come in at 10 Hz. For a Garmin GPS to provide the heading data, the receiver would have to be moving in order to develop a heading value. Other than that, are there other technical limitations ?

The Furuno SC-50 heading sensor is GPS based, but I can't locate what nmea messages it sends to Port 3 specifically, the update rate, and what other functional differences it has over a modern GPS sensor (like a solid state gyro, etc ).

I would like overlay Radar and plotter displays on the RDP-149.

Thanks

As long as it is RS422 level 0183 that provides real heading sentences (not COG/SOG or proprietary infomation) it should work. It won't blow up to try it. Using NMEA 4800 baud, it would wire to pin 1 and 2 of the heading port of data port 3 of the RDP149. Using the normal 6 pin cable it would be the White (+) and Black (-) wires to input the NMEA data. The fact you have to be moving sounds like COG not HDG. If the Garmin is putting out COG as HDG it might work but it will be a bit delayed because the unit won't want to check checking for HDG if it isn't there when first powered up. I might take a few minutes to see heading after the data gets applied. It is worth a shot to try it.

Thanks for these ideas. Right, COG, not HDG, won't be equal unless there is no drift or cross current. I'll get back with the results.

Back