Using a Airmar GH2183 for heading data for a RDP 149

I have two RDP 149 VX2 units networked together, I recently got a GH 2183 Airmar heading sensor/GPS WAAS receiver, MY question is this: Can I use the GH2183 sensor as a gps sensor since my current GP320B has "rolled over" and keep the GP320B as a redundant back up and also as a heading sensor for radar overlay/lollipop capability? The plug on my GH2183 plugs into the data 1, 4 ports but not into the data 3 port. can I use the correct furuno plug for data 3 (i don't know the name) and splice into the Airmar cable wiring for heading output?

I would just use my Simrad AP24 output via AT10 splitter but it's already serving into one unit in data 2 for nav data, I have a AT10HD i could pull from the simnet data stream the heading data and go into data3 for the overlay capability, but I like the idea of having two heading sensors, and two gps sensors for redundancy benefits.

I hope this makes sense.

Let me clarify a little: RDP149 #1: GP320B/data1, RDP#2: I want to take the cable from the GH2183 and split it into the data 1 and 3 ports to receive heading and GPS data, is that possible? I'm thinking the GH2183 was intended for N2K plug and play where as N0183 you have to have dedicated hard wire to unit. This is driving me nuts, I don't want to cut any cords unless I know exactly what my plan is.

FWIW, it's understood that "GPS Week Number Rollover" connected to your GP-320B will not affect the accuracy of the position, course or speed data. The date information associated with that position, course and speed data will be incorrect. Traditionally port 3 is used for heading (either AD-10 or NMEA).

Hope this helps,

- Maggy

Back