MWV wind data not being sent to PC on Port4

George Weeks

I am trying to get wind data to my computer from Port 4 of a VX2 10.4" plotter/radar.

Depth, speed, and position data are being sent and received at the computer correctly but WMV is not being transmitted from the VX2 plotter. Sentences can be read on the pc using both terminal software and chart plotter software. WMV is "on" in the Port4 settings. Wind data displays on the VX2 correctly.

Any suggestions about what is preventing the wind data from being sent on Port4 would be appreciated.

Yes, that's correct MWV.

I have tried several sentence combinations including MWV alone and in combination with STW, SOG, depth, position, and some of the RMx sentences. There are other sentences that do not transmit however I am not concerned about them at this time.

The problem seems to be somewhat intermittant. I have had MWV transmit along with others several times (and have log files of that) but there does not seem to be a pattern defining when it works and when it does not work. On the two or three days that MWV was being sent it worked all day and through several restarts of the plotter. On other days the plotter did not output MWV at all. The day I posted my first message here MWV started showing up on the output just after posting my request for help.

The speed and depth sentences always transmit correctly.

I expect that you are missing one of the components for the sentence. Apparent wind for example is normally pretty easy but TRUE wind normally requires speed and heading. If you find the sentence works when developing COG (moving the boat) but never when sitting still then you have found your correlation. You are missing something that is required at the time it stops coming out.

Back