Getting NMEA data out of a NavNet 1 system

A

Anonymous

I purchased a boat with a Navnet 1 system with BB fishfinder (not sure which model) and a open array radar (not sure which model).

I'd like to get the NMEA sentences out of the system and into a PC so I can use other apps (on the iPad, etc) accessing this data. The display unit I would get the data from is an RD 139 10.4" display.

Reading the manual, I see that DATA 3 or 4 can be configured to output NMEA 0183, so the specific question is: what cable do I need to buy? I suppose one end needs to fit into the DATA 3 port and the other end can be RS-232C or perhaps USB.

Thanks!

To interface a 10.4" NavNet 1 series display to a PC like yours, you would be using data 4 of the display. Ideally you would use a Furuno USB-7PN-CBL interface adaptor cable. This will provide a USB connection with the proper interface to the PC. The PC software normally used would be programs like SeaMarks (http://www.Andren.com) or GPS Utilities (http://www.GPSU.co.uk).

Thanks. Just to be clear, I don't want to transfer waypoints to a program.

I want the display to be broadcasting NMEA 0183 sentences like GPS lat / long, depth, SOG, STW, COG, etc while I'm underway. A nav program on a PC (Coastal Explorer) to consume that data and use it for navigation. I know that coastal explorer will read data like this, but will the display output it?

Thanks!

The following NMEA sentences can be output:

AAM: Waypoint arrival alarm, APB: Autopilot sentence B, BOD: Bearing origin to
destination, BWR: Bearing and distance to waypoint - rhumb line, DPT: Depth,
GGA: Global positioning system(GPS) fix data, GLL: Geographic position -
latutude/longitude, GTD: Own ship information-TD, MTW: Water temperature,
RMA: Recommended minimum specific LORAN-C data, RMB: Recommended
minimum navigation information, RMC: Recommended minimum specific
GPS/TRANSIT data, VHW: Water speed and heading, VTG: Course over ground
and ground speed, WPL: Waypoint location, XTE: Cross-track error, measured,
ZDA: Time and date, HDT: Heading true, HDG: Heading, deviation and variation,
MWV: Wind speed and angle