Furuno GPS Navigator GP30

Furuno GPS Navigator, Model GP-30, Serial No 3423-1594. Aerial in use is a GPA-017 serial No 071671

Hi there, we have the above installed on a 63' Motoryacht, and I suspect it is original so the year would be around 1999 if that is correct. This is located on the upper helm along with a Furuno TZT14. Lower helm has two 15" Furuno screens with navigation chart, radar, depth sounder, etc. I suspect they are all linked with the GP30 via a Furuno network, as you can shut the network down from one screen. I also suspect this GP30 is providing the location for the Furuno network?

The GP30 screen has seen better days, and there are now blank lines running through the display when on. Other than that it is working fine.

My question is, what is the new direct replacement for the GP30. What model can I put in with minimal disruption electronically, and do I have a choice of models?

Do any of the new units fit the same dash cut out as the current unit, as this is cut into and set into the helm panel.

any help that can be provided would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance

The closest fit replacement is the GP39. It is not exactly the same size but as close as you will get without buying a used GP30. The GP39 is most likely the best replacement and you re-use your existing GPS antenna (GPA017) if you want and keep the new one as a spare. Anything else will not be close to correct size.

Thank you for your reply Johnny.

Will the Furuno system/network require any additional set up when the new GP39 is installed? or is it just a case of plugging both plugs in at the back (aerial and power) and everything should just work normally? Am I correct in thinking the current GP30 provides the GPS location for the Furuno network displays, or will it be totally independent from this system?

Also, will a GP39 purchased in USA or Europe, for example, work just fine in New Zealand, or are they set up for the location where sold?

The GP39 uses a diffrent power/data cable so you will need to change that out. The coaxial antenna can be reused if still working. The GP30 provided position via 0183 and so does the GP39 so it shouldn't be a problem for retrofitting. I don't know the specifics about your system and what the GPS is driving but no setup changes should be needed other than swapping of the power/data cable. The GP39 sold in the USA is the same as one sold in other parts of the world. There is no GEO locked items with Furuno. We normally recommend purchasing from your local dealer/distributor for better support and service if needed.

Back