Furuno FCV 1150 R509LH vs R309

Scotty B

I currently have a Furuno FCV 1150 Fishfinder and I have recently purchased a R509 LH Transducer to replace my R309.
Can you please let me know if my performance will be the same or better with the new R509 compared to the R309.
I see that the Tap settings are different for the high frequency of the R509 compared to R309. Is there any reason for this?

Scotty B,
When I tested the two I found the performance very similar. In theory you can use a higher Tap setting on the lower end of the HF frequency range. However we have had a few cases where the Tap setting wasn't changed resulting in damage to the HF element. I see our Tap setting matrix also has a "C" Tap setting for the HF side so I will double check tomorrow on this.

Snips

Attachments

• 1150-Chirp test #1.jpg
    1150-Chirp test #1.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 924
Thanks very much for the reply Snips.
Looks like I have made a good decision to upgrade to the R509. I have trialled the HF of the 509 and it seems that I have to run much more gain to get the same performance as the 309. If you get any info on the tap settings I might be able to go back to Tap B with the 509, the same as I had it with the 309. I currently have it at Tap C.

Scotty B,
I checked with Airmar and they are now recommending using a "C" Tap for the LF and HF sides.

Snips

Back