DRS4W

Mary June

1: Can the ground be capped and not used?
2: Confirm no cell service required.
3: Can excess cable be cut?
4: Where can I see switch connection ideas?

I alway recommend testing and being comfortable that everything works well before modifying the scanner cable, but yes the DRS4W Scanner cable can be cut and reduced in length. Grounds are important. As indicated in the manual the shield wire should be attached to the grounding system on the boat. 1687962448159.png
No Cell service is required. The iOS device connects by Wi-Fi not cell service.
Switch connection can be as simple as taking the wire to a dedicated breaker on the boat and use that breaker to turn off the radar whenever not needed. In-line switch on the positive wire somewhere between the boat power and the radar could also be used. It would be just inserting a switch in the middle of the HOT/positive wire so you can turn off power when not needed/wanted.

Excellent information. I re-read the manual and fail to find shield wire info. Is there a manual that comes with the separate power cable? If no dedicated grounding system should I put ground wire to the same neg DC connection? Do I have to connect to a bus or can I direct connect to battery and install in-line switch?

The unit already has neg dc connected if they wanted that. I would normally be connected to the engine block or something that can be as good as a ground as possible.

The unit already has neg dc connected if they wanted that. I would normally be connected to the engine block or something that can be as good as a ground as possible.
Johnny
Do you concur with BOLD from Chris?

I see that it conflicts with what I just said a bit. I just looked at the response provided on the forum. Johnny Electron is a very knowledgeable person, so I'd suggest going with his recommendations.
Chris
Light Marine Tech Support
Furuno USA
------------------- Original Message -------------------
Received: 2023-06-29T19:16:11Z
Subject: RE: Radar CRMFUSA:0048000001382

I apologize. Someone had put a different cable with our DRS4W and I wasn't thinking properly. You are correct. There are essentially 2 wires (red (DC+) and blue (DC-)) and an overall cable shield. The red and blue are the only 2 wires that need connecting. The braided shield can be cut back and taped or "capped" as it does not need to be connected. The braided shield is a shield to help keep out stray RF and is not used as a ground as such. The only "ground" for this cable is really the blue (DC-).
Yes, you can cut the cable to length and just connect the red & blue to power.

I hope I've cleared up this confusion. If not, please let me know what I can re-state to assist. Thank you for your understanding.

Chris

Light Marine Tech Support

Ground is advised and documented in the manual. While you can do what you want because it is your unit, I tend to follow technical guidance. Chris is correct that the radar is likely to work fine with just the power wires and the cable ground left floating. Is it the best installation? That is for you decide. You are the installer. Chris is correct leaving it off won't damage anything but it might not fully perform as well when noise is encountered.

Installed. On trailor in neighborhood. Just powered up and works great. However, on the initial couple of sweeps all targets are shown. On each subsequent sweep targets are dropped. When I press stand-by and the turn on again all targers are shown and then one by one dropped each additional sweep.

It sounds like something reflecting into the radar causing the auto mode of the radar to drop gain or raise the clutter. If you have anything causing radar reflections, it should be blanked out using the sector blank feature. Do you have photos of the installation?

Requested pics attached. Tried again and all good.

Attachments

• IMG_8924.jpg
    IMG_8924.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8925.jpg
    IMG_8925.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8927.jpg
    IMG_8927.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8926.jpg
    IMG_8926.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 5
If good now, it could be something that is loaded on the boat later. That install looks pretty good other than I would be a bit concerned about that VHF or AIS whip there. Distance is hard to tell in photos but NMEA 0400 requires at least three feet from VHF/AIS from radar. I wouldn't be running it in the housing area because you will pick up way too many close in reflections. Make sure you wait until you take it out on the water away from the built up marina to see how it really runs. If you have motor reels and other items back behind, it might be that when the boat is loaded you should test sector blanking the aft to see what happens. I like these wifi radars a lot but they are AUTO mode only so the settings and adjustments are limited. Sweet looking ride.

Thanks.
If good now, it could be something that is loaded on the boat later. That install looks pretty good other than I would be a bit concerned about that VHF or AIS whip there. Distance is hard to tell in photos but NMEA 0400 requires at least three feet from VHF/AIS from radar. I wouldn't be running it in the housing area because you will pick up way too many close in reflections. Make sure you wait until you take it out on the water away from the built up marina to see how it really runs. If you have motor reels and other items back behind, it might be that when the boat is loaded you should test sector blanking the aft to see what happens. I like these wifi radars a lot but they are AUTO mode only so the settings and adjustments are limited. Sweet looking ride.
Not 3 feet of separation. If I get on the water and find that there are no proplems with the radar or the radio can I leave the antenna there?

Back