BOTTOM LOCK vs HEAVE COMPENSATION

Septimus

Furuno Fan
Hello,

What are the respective benefits/disadvantages of bottom lock vs heave compensation?
I have a FCV-1150 with SC-50 and I am still trying to work out whether I am better off leaving the display on "normal" with HC on (with the display adjusted for the same 10m off the bottom to match my BL setting), or, having the screen split for BL as well?
Any insights would be welcome.
Thanks.

Septimus,
Connecting the FCV-1150 to an SC-50 really won't help the sounders fish detection capabilities. It will just smooth out the bottom on the right side of the display. Below is a screen shot of an 1150 that's not connected to a sat compass and you can see as the vessel goes up and down so does the bottom in the normal display.

Snips

Attachments

• photo 7.JPG
    photo 7.JPG
    233.2 KB · Views: 1,481
Snips,
Perhaps I should reword my question - would I lose any detail if I don't use BL but use the "right side" (normal) display with range set to (say) 10m and HC turned on?
I've noticed that when I have BL and HC on the right side displays more classic "arches" when sounding nice fish than BL?
Thanks.

Septimus,
Are you talking about using the full screen and just have it ranged in just to see the bottom? You could run the 1150 like that but I think you will always be adjusting the range to keep the bottom where you want it. If it were my vessel and I already had the SC-50 I would connect it to help smooth out the bottom. But using the BL mode will give you the arches you are looking for even without connecting to an SC-50, as long as the 1150 isn't getting interference from another sounder, which is what is happening on the left side of this screen shot.

Snips

Attachments

• image 9.jpeg
    image 9.jpeg
    663.6 KB · Views: 1,468
Back