525 STID-MSD

wkirsh

Happy New Year :jump

I just had installed on my trawler two TZTouch3 units. They replaced one TZTouch2. When my depth sounder, a 525 STID-MSD was connected to the new TZTouch3 it was not reading accurately. But was working perfectly on the TZTouch2.

The installer checked the transducer and said it was working, but did not understand the cause of the wild readings. So far I confirmed the installation and went through the TZT3 manual and tried almost every combination of setting allowed. The system still does not give an accurate reading.

I can tell for sure, since I have another transducer on the network and it reads accurately. I have one transducer on at a time to ensure no interference. Also, if I switch one TZT3 unit to display the 525 transducer the same display occurs.

This is extremely frustrating. Could some one please offer me some suggestions other than replace the 525 transducer.

Thank you for your help.

bill :angry

By the sound of it, either the units are running mixed software that shouldn't be going together, or the TZT2 was updated without conducting the proper sounder hardware reset and full factory clear. What is the version of software in the TZT2? What is the software in the TZT3?

Good am, thank you for the reply.

I am not sure what the TZT2 software version was but it had been kept up to date.(That TST2 is long gone) As to the TZT3 (both units) where confirmed updated with the last version when placed into the boat in August, 2021.

Does that clarify better the post and help you think through the issue or is there some additional information I may provide you that would help?

Again, thank you for your assistance.

bill

The drop down menu has the ability to select 525 STID-MSD. This is the one selected for that transducer.

Thank you for the question. Any thoughts?

Bill

Depth is a measurement based on speed of sound through water so I have problems understanding how one transducer of the same type reads correctly while another one doesn't. Something has to be diffrent between this two transducers. Maybe one is a smart depth transducer (which has completely diffrent depth offset settings) than the sounder transducer. Tell me more about the transducer that is working depth correctly. Have you ensured the keel depth, transducer offset (both for sounding transducer and any external smart depth transducers) has been setup properly? When you say it isn't reading accurately, are you talking depth numbers or you have a bad bottom picture? If you have problems with the soundings, photos can be helpful.

Good am

Thank you very much for the time in responding to me. I will attempt to be better at clarification and will add pics where appropriate.

1. Depth is a measurement based on speed of sound through water so I have problems understanding how one transducer of the same type reads correctly while another one doesn't. Something has to be different between this two transducers.

Answer: Yes you are 100% correct. Have two different transducers on the system the older unit which is situated forward of the engine room on the port side which is the 525T -BSD the newer one is on the starboard side far back of the engine room. They are separated by amount 14 feet to 16 feet and different sides of the vessel. The Starboard transducer is 525 STID - MSD. The transducers are different.

Today when I went to get pictures for you while at dock, I find both units giving readings that make no sense.

2. Maybe one is a smart depth transducer (which has completely different depth offset settings) than the sounder transducer.

Answer: I do not know if the starboard transducer is a “smart transducer” or port transducer is smart?

3. Maybe one is a smart depth transducer (which has completely different depth offset settings) than the sounder transducer. Have you ensured the keel depth, transducer offset (both for sounding transducer and any external smart depth transducers) has been setup properly?

Answer: In setting up either transducer, I did not use an off set. Maybe I should have. Can you recommend to me the best way to calculate the off set to be used with either transducer? But at this point I am now getting very different and inaccurate reading on both units.

4. When you say it isn't reading accurately, are you talking depth numbers or you have a bad bottom picture? If you have problems with the soundings, photos can be helpful.

Answer: The depth number are erratic, inconsistent going from 2 feet to 200 feet within seconds, I do not get an accurate picture of the bottom at all. This is now occurring on both units (Port and Starboard). Now I get nothing from the Port Unit and nothing that is realistic from the starboard transducer.

See Pics in the attached document.

Id there a Furuno Tech I can call…. I need Help!!!!!

If you are in the FUSA sales and service area you can contact support at 410-479-4420 or 360-834-9300. If you are outside of our area, please contact the support in your respective country.
In setting up either transducer, I did not use an off set. Maybe I should have. Can you recommend to me the best way to calculate the offset to be used with either transducer?
Following the setup manuals is the best way and yes you must setup the depth to be either surface depth or keel depth along with the required measurement of how deep the transducers are from the surface. Besides the manuals, we have a document posted under the product that is helpful for this setup. https://www.furunousa.com/-/media/sites ... 2_tzt3.pdf

Your photos didn't post but in general if you depth is jumping that much it sounds like your sounder isn't getting a stable bottom. Before you can expect the depth numbers to show and be correct, you must have a stable bottom displayed on the sounder.

Thank you very much for the response.

No, neither depth sounder is getting a stable bottom read.What is the differential for not getting a "stable bottom read"? That is where I need to start.Can you refer me to some articles to review? The offset is not the issue.

Thank you so much for your assistance.

bill

I would recommend taking the boat out into 50ft or deeper water, turn off any advanced settings like Accufish, BD, or Enhanced Rezboost. Then put the unit into AUTO, Dual Freq and see what it looks like and take some photos. You would want to take photos with it sitting still in the water (floating) and then again with it moving. Normally we can tell a lot by photos. Alternatively, a dealer with a TDT1000 (Airmar) transducer tester would be helpful. No one painted the boat/transducer, correct?

If you have not done it, you may want to try switching from Auto mode to Manual and set the depth range to whatever depth you are in. You may need to adjust gain as well. I have had times in Auto mode where the transducer seems to want to keep searching for the depth range. Worth a try anyway.

Back