1150 deep water setting

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

HI, love the sounder awesome machine. I am not sure what the deep water setting does or how it can improve the picture. I have 2kw 50hz 12hr transducer for LF and set the pulse length to long and narrow for depth at 400m or 1330 feet. Clutter is 50% and colour erase is 20%. These are the settings I use for big cods in Perth Western Australia.
cheers
Frank

Hello Snapperhead,

You list the setting as Deep Water, but I assume you are referring to the "Deep Sea" selection for Target Echo under the TxRx menu.

For Target Echo, there are 4 options: Normal, Surface, Squid and Deep Sea. According to the manual, the presets for Deep Sea are the same as for Normal, so if you are currently using the Normal mode, you won't see any difference.

Hurricane

Snapperhead,
Since Cod are close to the bottom I would tend to think a shorter PL would be better than a longer one. Attached is a screen shot from a FCV-1200 showing the fish detection difference between the Standard and Short 1 PL's. As you can see in the middle of the picture, the Standard PL shows one fish but by switching to Short 1 there are actually two. A couple others settings on the 1150 to try is using a 1/1 screen advance, TX power of 10 and TX rate of 20.

Snips

Attachments

• Pulse length difference.jpg
    Pulse length difference.jpg
    566.3 KB · Views: 3,333
Greetings to all fellow members and fishermen.
Congratulations on the idea and the work of the forum.

I have a 1150 and I fish for bream (Pagellus bogaraveo) in 400 meters deep.
What is the best frequency to detect echoes of fishing?
50kHz? 38KHz? 28kHz? Thank you

Garb,
Thanks for your question, unfortunately that's not a fish we have alot of experience with since it is mainly found over in Europe. I looked up (bream, Pagellus bogaraveo) online and if I had to recommend a frequency based on what I read it would be 50Khz. I would also be looking for a transducer that provided the narrowest beam angle I could find. It would be interesting to try a R-309 from Airmar, this transducer has an LF frequency range from 25-45Khz to see if there is any fish detection difference. I am curious to know now what is the most common frequency that fisherman have been using?

Snips

I have not come into contact with deep water setting
g.gif

Thanks Snips.
I have Airmar R 209 (33-60kHz), set to 50 kHz
The frequency that fishermen are using I think it is lower than 50kHz.
With 28kHz transducers, sometimes get to see echoes of fishing.

Hi Garb and Snips

I have the FCV 295 and R299 tranny. My question is when initially setting the tranny, from the XDCR setting screen, choosing Manual and setting it to 200khz, it automatically sets the Band width (not the frequency) to 1/10th ie 20khz. What would be the ideal band Width ? I am fishing between 200m and 600m over in Perth, WA

thanks

WAFisherman

WAFisherman,
The bandwidth setting in the transducer set up menu is a little confusing. As you found, you can set the bandwidth up to 10% of the frequency, but this isn't actually setting the bandwidth of the receiver. What you are setting is the range you can slew the LF or HF frequency on the 1150. So if you set the bandwidth of 200Khz to 10% you will be able the slew the frequency from 180 to 220Khz using the frequency control menu. If you wanted to change the receiver bandwidth there is a setting in the TX/RX menu called RX Band (page 24 in the op manual). Normally the RX bandwidth is linked to the sounders pulse length but this setting lets you change it. Hope this helps.

Snips

Garb,
If you are using the Airmar R-209 you can use one of the coolest features of the 1150 and that is using it on two low frequencies at the same time. I wrote up a document to do this for our broadband CA82B-35R transducer. If you use our website and type in CA82B-35R in the search field you should find it under the manuals/docs section. If you set the LF TX frequency at 45Khz you should be able to follow the instructions to have the LF TX at close to 50Khz and the HF channel to TX at close to 40Khz. This should give you and idea which frequency works better. If you find 40Khz works better I would go back into the transducer setup menu and reset the TX frequency for 35Khz and then reset the LF for 33 and HF for 38Khz. Be sure to leave the LF TAP setting at "C".

Snips

Thank you, Snips as soon as possible I'll try and tell you things.
Do you Know any publication, book or manual that teaches how to adjust the fishfinder settings at different depths?

Garb,
Sadly no, there are just to many different scenarios to go over. What works for one fishery may not work for another. But the nice thing is you have one of the most versatile sounders on the market today. You can slew it's frequency, change the pulse length and tweak the clutter curve to see how these changes affect the sounders fish detection capabilites. You will find by just changing the sounders color platte or background can either hide or enhance fish targets. Below is an example of what I mean. My suggestion would be the next time out when you find some good targets take five or ten minutes just to tweak a couple of settings just to see what kind of difference they make. Write to ones down that make to most improvement in the back of the operators manual so you will have a record of what works and that doesn't.

Snips

Attachments

• #16.jpg
    #16.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 1,384
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back