Deep water performance M265LH?

offshorehunter

Hi
I have a question regarding the deep water performance of my M265LH transducer. I have a TZT14 with a DFF1-UHD mainly for deep water fishing, but are not to impressed of the performance. I had the same equipment with me on a 3,5 year sailing/ fishing trip from Greece to Australia, then installed in a 41" catamaran. The same in hull transducer worked perfect through 15mm (0,6 inch) solid fiberglas, reading bottom down to 1150m (3400`)! After returning to Norway I have the same electronic put in my Contender like 26" CC, and now I have trouble reading bottom in more then 400m. Only difference is the hull is now 30mm (1,2 inch) solid glas. Earlier I had a Airmar 258 mounted in hull in the exact same spot, and had as good or better readings on an old Lowrance. I have been told that the chirp is not as good as the traditional in really deep water, but find it strange that the set up did great with half the glas on my catamaran. 1100m in my catamaran was on hard bottom, the 400m+ is softer bottom, but the 258 did better. Only difference is my CC is more unstable than the catamaran, so might be harder to pick up returns, but again the 258 did at least as good. There is also a setting in the sounder "start setup" I have not noticed before and find a bit strange. There is an adjustment of gain with "off" "minimum" or "auto". Should there been a medium or high? Any idea?

Offshorehunter,
Unfortunately what you are experiencing is exactly why I try not to recommend in-hull transducers. On some vessels you can get acceptable performance and others not so good.
The hulls thickness and dead rise will both come into play in attenuating the TX and RX signals. On the gain setting, I don't recall seeing what you are describing. Could it have been the output power setting you were looking at? It has OFF-MAX-AUTO.

Snips

Thanks Snips
So you are not surprised the 258 doing better in the same spot as the 265?
There is also a setting for transducer modell listed, but not the M265LH, only B and CM265 I think. What do you recommend?
Any advice on the TVG and other settings to get max out in deep water?

Offshorehunter,
Before I suggest setting changes, can you post a screen shot of what you are seeing in deeper waters?

Snips

Sorry, I have no photos. Will be out in a couple of weeks again and can try to make some then.
There is also a choice of transducer model, but only between the B and CM 265. What is the better choice for my M265?
I do not have a ships ground and it is a little bit of noise, but will it have any impact on the depth performance as long as I use no noise filter?

Morten

Offshorehunter,
I like to use B-265. But it really doesn't matter B or CM. Just don't connect the orange TID wire from your M265 as that transducer is not in the UHD data base. Also if you only are seeing the B-265 and CM-265 that means your UHD has older software as the B-275 should appear also. The newer SW is 2.01 or 3.02. Both are the same, the difference is when the UHD was made. The newer SW has improved deep water performance as well as better interference rejection.

Snips

Back