GP 1971 question

jeff6513

Have a question....I am not to smart when it comes to all the information about these electronics,so please bear with me.
Just picked this unit up...coming from the furuno 1870,which had the cmap 4d SD card,which is a larger card.I downloaded all my info onto another SD card and saved everything.
When I bought this unit I asked if card was compatible,and of course they said it was,being a furuno unit.I installed unit and looked at card holder,and it is micro chips,I guess smaller.
Am I missing something?This is where I am kind of lacking,and don't really know this type of technology.Any type of conversion or am I stuck with buying another card?

Thanks for any help.

Jeff

Both machines use the 4D mapping from Cmap. Many of the newer C-map cards of this type are micro SDs inserted into a SD card adaptor when purchased. The adaptor is used on the older Gp1870 type units (to take the full SD card slot) and not used for the newer machine that uses the micro card. If you have an older card that is full SD card (you can't pull out the micro from the adaptor) it has the correct 4D mapping but not the correct micro SD package. It is most likely very old but C-map is likely to offer you a trade-in deal on the correct package. You can't just copy C-map maps to another card and have them work. If you could, there would be a ton of blackmarket chips out there. The cards are made with a special formatting for which you can not duplicate so it isn't possible. I would recommend contacting c-map for options.

Thank you so much for the info, what about retrieving my older waypoints can I use a micro chip in a adapter and put it in my old machine? Would that work

Yes, you can use a blank chip (using an adaptor) in the old machine to backup your waypoints then move them to the new machine (without an adaptor).

Thanks got it working after a few tries, have another problem depth finder is being erratic just sitting at the dock going from 15 feet jumping to 1000 back and forth trying different settings, The unit recognizes the transducer, I think it’s a TM175 not sure can’t remember but it’s very erratic not sure what to do about this one

Also have another transducer I plugged in, a p66 which works fine, and the other transducer worked OK with the other GPS, 1870 so not sure what’s going on do you have any ideas? Thanks

This topic is jumping around a bit. If you wish to troubleshoot the fish finder, I would recommend a new thread under the sounder area where the acoustic guys hang out. Normally to properly consider sounder or transducer problems, photos are needed.

Back