Problems installing Navionics + in GP 1971 F

Stevo

I am just trying to get my new furuno 1971-F upgrading from the 1870 F.
I have up loaded the latest upgrades on to my Navionics card and installed it into the plotter but there is no evidence that it is in there. It won't find tide stations or give me any information other than the larger islands around with some of the names of such. And as I search through everything it seems that the card isn't being read.
What is the procedure to installing the charts. I must be doing something wrong but I can't find any info other than upgrade the card and stick it in the machine. I have Navionics running well on my Iphone but I can't seem to pair that with the 1971 either.

Anyone???

It isn't really possible to upgrade a GP1870F to being a GP1971F. I am guessing you are replacing your older model with a new GP1971F? The GP1870F uses a full size SD mapping card. (C-map 4D) but the GP1971F uses a micro SD (C-map 4D/Navionics+ or Platinum+) . If your old full size card was using an adaptor then it should be possible to use it in the newer unit as long as you setup for C-map mapping. While there are custom settings the map should show up as long as you have selected C-map. If you have inadvertently setup the machine to Navionics then factory reset should restore the unit back to original and you can then select C-map. If the chart card won't work when setup for C-map there might be an issue with the card. You might want to talk to C-map because while it is 4D there might be some an issue with the number of files on the chart edition you have.

Thanks for your reply.. I guess I wasn't clear. I purchased a new GP 1971 F. I haven't been able to get it working. I have a brand new Navionics + plus micro SD and the GP 1971 won't read the card. I spoke to one of your technical people and together we went through the whole installation process. It was decided to send the unit back so Furuno could diagnose the problem and either fix or replace the unit. I am still waiting.
Thankfully I still have the older GP 1870 so I can still get around but I want the new unit ASAP since I paid for it already,

Ok so I still don't have any suggestions from you. I am feeling quite disappointed with this whole transaction. I have paid cash for something that doesn't work and everyone seems to be shrugging their shoulders.

So you sent the unit in to be evaluated? Once they receive the unit that might take about 5-6 days to hear back. It needs to be processed and get in line with other repairs. How long has it been there? You sent this to Camas WA?

Thanks.. It was sent to Western Supply, a major marine supply distributer for BC. They tried the unit with a card they had and they said it worked fine. So I guess it is the SD card at fault or there is more to getting this unit set up than Ron, your technician could teach me. The latest I heard that I was getting the unit back tomorrow or the next day. Hopefully, it will work although I am in the exact place I was 2 weeks ago.

If you have a bad card it is a bad card. That would need to be taken up with Navionics but I am sure they will take care of you. Two weeks ago you didn't know the cause and now you do. As with any new cell phone or anything else one must read the book it learn it when it comes to setup and operations. I am sorry you got a bad Navionics card and feel overwhelmed. Hopefully you get that resolved with Garmin/Navionics and move the learning process along.

I am having the same problem with my 1971f and my Navionics+ card. The map worked fine until I decided to renew my Navionics subscription and upgrade the charts to the latest version with their Chart Installer software. I contacted Navionics and we went through a bunch of diagnostics. Eventually they let me know that it's a known issue which they are trying to resolve, between Navionics+ and Furuno. So for now I am stuck with the good old C-Map 4D charts... So I don't know, maybe there should be some kind of warning against updating the Navionics+ card, or something to that effect...

Navionics hasn't informed us of any known issues with their charts that only involves the Furuno. Thanks for sharing what they have told you. We have updated our lab unit without any issues and used their updating software and it worked fine. We didn't pay for the annual update and maybe their new data has some type of issue for which they haven't informed us. Hopefully they can get you resolved soon. Keep us posted because this is very interesting. Thanks again for sharing.

So today I received a new Navionics+ card, and performed an update with their "Chart Installer" software. The card is now fully functional, so all's good. They were claiming that a new card would not fix my problem, but in the end it did, so I guess even experts make mistakes sometimes...

Thank you for this update. It is good to hear that your new Navionics+ card, after performing the "Chart Installer" software resulted in a fully functional system. Hopefully others with similar situations are also finding promising results.

- Maggy

Back