COG and Heading not aligned

CBBeaty

Furuno Fan
Good morning. I have a 2019 Seavee with 2 TZT2 utilizing PG700 and GP330B. Before I left for the bahamas my system lost the GP330B connection due to a bad fuse. I replaced it and then made sure position, Mag VAR, SOG/COG and date/time data sources were set to the GP330B. Left for the bahamas and boat ran flawlessly on AP (711 model I believe). Boat continued to work great all week. Late in the week when running a route on AP, I would notice an ever so subtle turn to "the opposite direction" before executing the proper turn at a waypoint. I mean super subtle. All my COG and Heading numbers matched and boat icon with direction line (dashed line from tip of boat icon) were all in sync. Then yesterday when I left to come home, i pulled my route up, and the AP was struggling to stay on line. Then I noticed my COG and RItchie compass were in sync but the heading was off 20 degrees +/-. Further the direction line coming off the tip of the boat icon was skewed that same 20 degrees. We checked all the data sources and all the settings were the same as mentioned above and the sensor list did not have any "greyed out" sensors. Being 185 miles from home I didn't want to get too deep into anykind of master reset etc.

Now that I am home is there a recalibration procedure or setting for this so I can fix it? Also any suggestions as to what caused it to happen? On the way home two small electrical fans (obviously not powered) were stored inside the console at the top of my steps. I've just learned there is an acrylic access hatch at the top of the steps I never saw and I think the PG700 is behind the panel. Would that have caused this?

Last edited:
It sounds like the PG700 compass was being pulled by something and good chance it must be relocated unless you can find what that something is.

Thanks Johnny. THe boat is 4 years old and has never happened. If I removed what was "pulling" on it would the PG700 correct itself?

Thanks Johnny. THe boat is 4 years old and has never happened. If I removed what was "pulling" on it would the PG700 correct itself?
If you removed the pull (which those fans that you previously mentioned certainly would) it will correct itself.

Back